Overwhelming desire to change the volume splash.

.dev.lqd

Angry Member
OK- I've been poking around the Library and System folders, but to no avail.

I don't know if anyone else it hot to mod this, but I'm seriously Jonesin' a custom volume splash. If there's anyone who has both 10.0.4 and 10.1 installed and wants to hook a brotha' up, a comparison of the System and Library trees would be most interesting. I just hope that the graphics and logistic information used for the splash aren't embedded in some binary file, and that it's in some package somewhere.

Then again, I could just be the only person who wants to do this :)

I don't have both OS builds running for comparison, but...

Do you mean the boot panel?
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemStarter/QuartzDisplay.bundle/Resources/BootPanel.pdf

Or a stretch, login panels.
/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Resources/variousNibFiles.nib

No... the volume overlay that pops up when you hit the volume keys in 10.1 (this was really my only reason for updating to 10.1... the volume thing is SO sexy). I just want to customize it now :)

Oh, I see. Your right, it is very cool.

I think this is what you were looking for then...

/System/Library/LoginPlugins/BezelServices.loginPlugin/Contents/Resources/

Have fun.

What's the Eject image for?

I'm also guessing the lock image is for workstations that are setup so you can't change settings?

I'm more confused by how to create transparent TiFF's.......

Can't you mess with .nib ish in Interface Builder?

Go to apple.com and click on developer. Sign up for a free developer (Online or Student) account. You can then download the dev tools for free.

Cocoa rocks my socks.

In the /System/Library/LoginPlugins/BezelServices.loginPlugin/Contents/MacOS/BezelServices file, from what I make of it, window opacity is set from NSSetWindowOpacity before load. That's the nice ghost appearance when it first draws to screen.
The fade effect seems to happen by -[BezelMeterWindowController fadeTimerFired:]
I'm guessing the author set a timer loop within the main event loop (BezelServicesTask) to fire NSSetWindowOpacity 60 or so times within the 2 second fade. Each message would increase opacity value till it reaches 100%...invisible.

I think that's how it works.

I don't think any of this is modifiable unless your willing to get your hands dirty an rewrite the app.
But there are still plenty of resources to modify.

Anyone have a new splash for the modem thingy in the top menu bar? I want to change it to something cool....the current one sucks. I'm not going to rest until my OS X is totally G'd-out!

Also, how about a new splash for the recent items pane? It's too drab, I want something like a kaliedoscope thingy so make it cool. Something with lots of widgets and gears and bolts and knobs. Ohhhhhhh yeahh!!!

Back