Oxford 911 or 922?

www.teamhcn.com

Registered
I've got a slot-loading 600MHz iMac G3 w/1GB RAM, currently running OSX 10.4.7. I boot from an external drive but the enclosure, which uses a Prolific 2507 chip, has given me problems to no end. I've read a lot of favourable comments from people here and other places regarding enclosures that use the Oxford 911 chip.

I'm looking to buy one of the Mercury Elite Pro enclosures from OWC, and the FW 800/400/USB 2.0 one caught my attention. I'll be upgrading my computer to a Mac Pro at some point, so Firewire 800 would be a useful thing to have for the future. However, the enclosure that offers all of these options uses the Oxford 922 chip (listed as 912 under the technical info, is this a typo?), which apparently had some known bugs with it under Panther. Do problems still exist under Tiger, or with older Macs like mine? My other option is the Firewire-only Mercury Elite Pro, which uses the Oxford 911 chip. By all accounts, this should work for what I'm after. However, I really like the extra port options provided by the other enclosure.

Should I go for the Oxford 922 (912?) enclosure, or stick with the 911?

Back