OXS, Apache and ROOT password

imatt_net

Registered
OK, I have 96M on my 300Mhz iBook, and I'm running OS-X. I like it. It's a little slow of course.
Anyway, I want to use the machine as a development web server environment. I am not in the mood to shell out cash to run a web server for yuks at home. I have poked around a little in the OS-X bsd directories, and I have found the place where I turn httpd on. When I try to execute this command (GOD, having a command line on an apple is like being lucky pierre!) I get something like "you must be ROOT to execute this."

Thing is, I don't remember creating a ROOT user when I installed OS-X. And I've never had an instance of BSD on my own machine, so I don't know what the default password is.

Any hints?
thanks
-mb

Check the back of the OS X installation guide in the troubleshooting section. You will find information on how to set the root password, etc.

Originally posted by imatt_net

Thing is, I don't remember creating a ROOT user when I installed OS-X. And I've never had an instance of BSD on my own machine, so I don't know what the default password is.

Any hints?
thanks
-mb

You don't need to be root. Just turn on web sharing in the Sharing pane of System Preferences and reboot.

And when you need root for something at the command line, if you're logged in with administrative privileges you can just type "sudo command" - the password it asks for is your password, not root's.

Back