PAL iMovie import problems

alexachucarro

I'm 1/4 Basque you know?...
Apple seems to cater for the North Americans very well, leaving the other 7 Billion people out of the loop a bit.

I have had a few problems importing DV Stream files, created by QuickTime, to iMovie for 10.1.1

I had no problems importing NTSC files, just the PAL ones. As we use PAL over here, and Europe and most of the world actually, but never mind, it's very hard for software catered for North America to work with our stuff. All I want to do is mess about with DV Stream files converted by QT into iMovie. I can do it if i make sure that the exports are NTSC, but we use PAL, and it means it wouldn't be playable on 95% of DVD players or TV's here.

Does anyone have a solution? Changior doesn't work, neither does changing the files 'parent' application.

alexachucarro,

the (albeit undocumented) solution to your problem is to first create a project using the PAL standard. iMovie creates projects by default as NTSC unless a PAL DV camera is connected when the movie is created.

In case you don't have a DV camera handy at all times, I create a blank PAL project when I have the camera handy, then duplicate this when on the road. This allows you to create a PAL project when using iMovie to make a new project will default you back to NTSC.

I may be mistaken, but you cannot import PAL DV stream files into an NTSC project, and vice versa. Creating the PAL project first will allow you to edit your PAL DV stream files.

Cheers,

James

Nice one guys both of you.

Very kind offer testuser but I am a few thousand miles away!!!

James.hodge, well done. I don't have a DV Camera but I am borrowing one tomorrow±±±±± VEry good idea, i never thought to do that. Well I'm off now to do what I want. Well after tomorrow anyway!

Thanks guys.

Back