Palm Desktop launch fails

walto

Registered
I have a relatively new Palm T|X that I have been HotSyncing almost daily for several months. I recently tried to launch the Palm Desktop to do some work on my PB G4 to then add to the palm but instead of a launch I got a window: "Unexpected end of line." There was only one button available: "Quit" When later I attempted my daily HotSync the computer and palm shook hands and transfer started but then the window appeared. Ultimately the palm window: "Not all of your data..." appeared. When I clicked the "Quit" button, the computer behaved as though nothing had happened. No reference at all to the failed HotSync. I have deleted and reinstalled the PalmDesktop both from the PalmOne site and from the CD that came with the T|X, to no avail. I did run into the *.rcrs in use problem but managed it with the Terminal program.

Anyone have any ideas? Palm support is non-extant. It seems that this is not a common problem, since I found no related threads on this forum.

The latest Palm Desktop for Mac is a bit old - v4 or something, I believe.

My wife syncs her Palm T5 frequently, but has bought the "Missing Sync" software from www.markspace.com . After odd problems with the Palm stuff, this generally works well. It also gives you the choice of syncing with the old Palm Desktop or with the Apple Address Book etc. She still uses the data in the Palm Desktop.

The suggestion is well taken as it is not the first time I have seen it or heard of it. The problem is that untill I can get the desktop to function, I cannot get to the conduits to adjust as needed. I cannot sync with HotSync and the error in the desktop errors out the HotSync and iSync as well as Missing Sync. So... I need to discover a brief but at least one sync fix to the problem. The root of the sync problem is in the desktop failure. Hence, the need to discover a fix for the failed desktop launch.

I have had the same problem in the past - i fixed it by using the finder
to search for and delete ALL palm data from my computer and then
re-installing the palm desktop software.

At least twice, i have had to delete/re-install several times in a row to finally get the thing to work.

(i also sync my palm (treo 650) to 3 different computers
so that i will always have a backup.)

Back