Palm Desktop Refuses to Install Successfully

MikeQBF

Registered
I'm at my wit's end here... even after reinstalling 10.3 and 10.3.9 combo upgrade, the "current" Palm Desktop installer will terminate with "unable to successfully install" dialog. "Palm" folder (in "Applications") will be present and the expected apps and app icons are there, but double-click on "HotSync Manager" and all I get is:

The application "HotSync Manager" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "4<HotSync Manager><HotSync Manager><HotSyncLib.PPC><>"

Any help out there? I'm supposed to know how to do this stuff and this is just driving me nuts! :mad:

(Thanx!)

This is almost a never mind. The answer for this specific error message was on PalmOne's FAQ for OS X. Their answer is:

"You must re-install Palm Desktop from the CD included with your handheld."

To which I respond, "You're kidding, right?" My original CD dates from Mac OS 8.x with updates applied incrementally from online downloads. I wiped the slate clean in a system upgrade. So this ain't gonna be fun... anybody have any better ideas?

Have you fully deleted all the stuff from the old install of Palm desktop? Try searching for 'HotSync' and 'Palm' and deleting all that you find. Then try installing the software again.
If that doesn't work you could always try missing sync - it's a heck of a lot better than Palm Desktop...
http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_palmos.php

>...fully deleted...

Oh, it started out as a virgin system with no Palm software at all. Palm(One) stopped Mac development a while ago and appear to offer no path for direct OS X loads without going through OS 9 first.

>...missing sync...

I realize that's the recommended solution now, but I'll resort to that only if there's no other alternative.

I'm a long-time Palm developer (Palm 5000!) who got out of the business a year ago and a former client needs some minor tweaks. I don't care about a long-term solution, just something to test/prove with. I'm about at the point where I'm going to load the files on an SD card and start moving files to the non-SD handhelds with IR. Oh, joy.

What Palm are you running? I've got a Tungsten and my girlfriends got my old Treo 180g and neither of us had problems getting palm desktop to work...

Tungsten T (technically an "Oslo" - a pre-production prototype). And several Visors, and a IIIc. I think I sort of mentioned that this is a legacy support situation. Oh... and a Garmin iQue (...I know, I know...).

What's fun/funny (NOT!) is that it works fine under OS 9... thank goodness I still have a box around that will boot native 9. So there's a clunky workaround available. With that I'm sort of disinclined to spend any more time trying to get OS X support running for the Palm.

The assist is much appreciated, tho'.

(PS - I'm trying real hard not to vent my spleen about Palm and their woes from a developer POV...) ;)

I had a similar problem. Tried to install Palm and HotSync software on a PowerBook running Tiger. I kept getting this error message:

"The application "HotSync Manager" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "4<HotSync Manager><HotSync Manager><HotSyncLib.PPC>"

I finally solved the problem by borrowing an original Palm installation CD
from someone who had a newer Palm PDA/phone. This time the software installed immediately and smoothly.

Apparently the software (4.0) that you can download from the Palm website
does not do the trick. You have to work with a CD; in my case, it was version 4.2something, I think.

That was my experience, for whatever it's worth.

It seems there is a recurent problem with Palm Desktop installer... I can't install too.
I tried to install Palm Desktop 4.2.1 for OS X (downloaded from Palm site) on my boot drive (10.3.9, Palm applications never installed before) and the installer failled. It began installation normally and stopped after decompressing 29 out of the 51 files in the installer archive (for PD alone, it was 29 out of 70 for PD and HotSync). After a few seconds where some message windows appears and disappears (too quickly for reading!), it returns a message telling installation were unsuccessfull. Palm folder were in the application folder with some files and folders but certainely not complete, and the main application were only a 4k file. I ran uninstaller that "remove" all files, tell me it were uninstalled but nothing were actually removed...
I also tried to repair permission on my drive, to run daily, weekly and monthly OS cleaning tasks, and to run the "palmOne Permissions Fixer" script without any success... Something curious, I looked inside the installer package and the installer ressources state "MacOSClassic"... Don't know if it is a problem?
So, does anybody knows a way to alleviate this problem and to install PalmDesktop on a Mac with 10.3.9?

Back