Palm, HotSync, Classic

beef

Dinner
I saw a thread on Hotsyncing Palm (newer OS) under classic...

does anyone remember how it was done?

It should work exactly the same under Classic as it does under native Mac OS 9. I know on my mom's Visor, all she has to do is pop the Handspring into the cradle, push the HotSync button, and it launches HotSync Manager under Classic and HotSync's normally. Make sure that you have Classic started first, though.

Any idea when/if palm is going to make a native X app for syncing? This will be a major draw back at christmas when people looking at a new iMac find out they can't sync without starting classic.

A couple people on the MacAddict forum said that hotsyncing in Classic could be slow or flaky. I hotsync to a PC, but keep in mind that USB (or serial) might not be so hot through Classic.

In my experiences (Handspring VISOR w/ USB cradle) I could only get it to work in Classic with 10.1 - it wouldn't work in any previous versions.

In 10.1 it works just fine - just press the button on the cradle and Classic starts like you think it would.

I too wish they'd make a OSX version of HotSync, though :(

sorry... I should've tested to see if the thing works with 10.1.1 before posting... in my memory, it didn't really work with 10.0.4.

anyway... it sort of worked...

the connection kept on dying... and I had to try about 20 times before the sync completed, which is rather stupid (yea, basically, I just kept on pressing on the button like a dumb monkey... imagine doing that in front of your winblows friend who asks why you use Mac everytime he sees it...). I really don't need to sync my palm all that often... but I guess this will be one reason to go back to 9.:(

I have found that the visor cradle will only work 100% when plugged directly into the computer. Plugging it into the end of the keyboard yields connection problems when downloading certain apps or data into my prism.
So if you are having problems, and have it connected to the keyboard, plug it directly into the USB port of your Mac.
That is kind of difficult to do with a cube! I have a 4 port USB powered hub in my LCD that works too, all the time.

I thought maybe that's the source of problem, and I plugged it in directly to the USB port of the desktop...

and that was before my previous post...

maybe I'll reset everything in the palm... then start installing stuffs under Classic, then see what happens... the idea doesn't really excite me though

It works the same as classic with the following exceptions

Like many USB devices under classic, if you attach them while classic engine is running, it probably wont work. Attach and then re-start the classic engine from within preferences. It should work fine then.

The first time you sync, you may want to do in native as I have found that a complete sync from scratch tends to crash in classic where as incremental updates seem a bit unstable. The USB drive must be a fraction dodgy.

Hope this helps

Oops, typo. Make that "bit unstable", more stable, and the "drive", driver, and I think that the last statementmakes sense

:)

Back