Panther 10.3 Question?

Sirtovin

Senior Switcher Tech Guru
Do I have to pay for this upgrade? Is it considered another 129 dollars? or will it be another free download? I am still new to Mac.

Back when I was still bashing iWhiners, we were discussing whether Jaguar (10.2) would cost 129$. One thread of this discussion was http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20508 ... So you can go there and read it up.

Panther will come more or less a year after Jaguar. It will have new features, less bugs and be faster.

It will be a full upgrade, meaning that you'll get it with new machines (and get a free upgrade if you bought a machine 30 days or less before the upgrade is available) or pay 129$ for the upgrade. The upgrade you buy is a full version that you can install your machine from. No need to first install Jaguar and then update to Panther.

Originally posted by fryke
Back when I was still bashing iWhiners, we were discussing whether Jaguar (10.2) would cost 129$. One thread of this discussion was http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20508 ... So you can go there and read it up.

Panther will come more or less a year after Jaguar. It will have new features, less bugs and be faster.

It will be a full upgrade, meaning that you'll get it with new machines (and get a free upgrade if you bought a machine 30 days or less before the upgrade is available) or pay 129$ for the upgrade. The upgrade you buy is a full version that you can install your machine from. No need to first install Jaguar and then update to Panther.

I didn't mean to whine... I love Mac.

is there a way to do a clean install w/ a jaguar 'upgrade' CD? it only lets me upgrade a previous install of 10.1 ... i thought all the cd's let you do a clean install, and now i'm discovering i'm going to have to put in a my 10.1 cd, format, install 10.1, then upgrade.

kind of silly if you ask me, but thought i'd ask here first.

The 'update' Jaguar CDs (the one that came with some iMacs and PowerMacs just before the official release of Jaguar that had 10.1 installed) per se can not be used to clean-install Jaguar 10.2. The 'hack' basically removes a 'check' file from the CD that is the only change from a full upgrade CD.

Apple isn't very happy about the fact that people found out about this, but then again you have a license for Jaguar 10.2 and thus should be fine legally, if you apply that hack and make a changed backup CD.

Why do they give us those coupons then? Their useless but apple keeps putting them in the boxes. I'd hope it'd be a cheaper update since new OS's come out so often.

I've always wondered why those coupons are included in every box. Apple has never asked for them.

Here's how to clean install Jagaur without the hack

Install a bare 10.1 install, then reboot with the Jaguar CD, now when you select the HD toinstall onto, click options, and then click "erase HD." Then Jaguar will be cleaned installed, without the mess of an upgrade.

Originally posted by fryke
No need to first install Jaguar and then update to Panther.

Something I've been wondering about: Apple moved its branding from 'aqua' to 'faux fur' when they decided the brand 10.2 using the code name Jaguar. So when we move to 10.3 (code named Panther) will it just become the latest of version of Jaguar or will Apple adopt a new branding? Will we see a glossy but subtly spotted black "X" on boxes and on the web site? Or will Apple go some new direction and use a more universal branding? What are people's thoughts on this?

Personally I'm really excited for Mac OS X 10.5 : 'Snow Leopard' Always has been my favourite of the big cats...

No 10.3 should not cost money because look 8.1 8.6 9.1 9.2 and 10.1 all follwed payment upgrades and never cost so i doubt 10.3 will

Originally posted by Mac Write
Here's how to clean install Jagaur without the hack

Install a bare 10.1 install, then reboot with the Jaguar CD, now when you select the HD toinstall onto, click options, and then click "erase HD." Then Jaguar will be cleaned installed, without the mess of an upgrade.

DO NOT DO THIS!!

I made the mistake of trying that on my wife's (at the time my girlfriend's) iMac. Having heard of how X and 9 on the same disk can lead to big problems, I decided to partition the disk while booted off CD - a 10.1 update CD, that being all I had. The CD boots, recognizes the 10.0 install, is willing to update. After partitioning, disaster - no 10.0 install, no update.

And I tried to reboot to get the disk out - no dice. Finally I had to use the paperclip trick (took me some searching to find out where the paperclip hole is on a slotloading iMac), reinstall 10.0 on the new partition, then update to 10.1.

the 'up to date' CD's apple sent out when i got my iMac in august is *just* an upgrade CD.

there is no 'options' button when you go to install 10.2 - if there is no other previous install of OS X, you will not be able to continue.

going from a clean install of 10.1.5 > 10.2 isn't that bad, but i'm kind of pissed i didn't recieve a cd that gives me the option of a full install.

i'll have to search around for info on the 'hack' people speak of to make my own full install CD.

if anyone has a link to such info, a link or email would be appreciated.

Um Guys.,.. I started this thread in good faith... I just wanted to know if 10.3 would be free or not...

I really hope it will be free. And at the same time, I really hope Apple will quit seeding new OSes like this... I mean, take it from an IT administrator point of view: here where I work there are 80 Macs, equally divided between 8.1, 8.5.1, 8.6, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.2.2... they haven't upgraded a single machine to OS X for fear of .x.x upgrades!

Give us 10.3, then keep it for 1 year (at least 365 days). If you need more time for testing, drivers development, etc, take it before release.

OS X seems to be on an 11-13 month release schedule now. I wouldn't mind if 10.3 is a paid upgrade. But if Apple is going the way of all ugprades being paid, then they need to offer "upgrade pricing". I don't mind paying for the upgrade, but full price is a bit ridiculous. Upgrades should be no more than half of the full price of the software.

Back