Panther 7A179 - detailed report with screenshots

I think I've heard that there is a choice between brushed metal and aqua for the finder but I haven't seen any screen shots where this is true. Could you find out if there is an aqua version and put a screen shot into page 2 of your report?

There is not an Aqua version of the Finder in Panther. And no user choice so far. I also haven't found a .nib file for the main Finder window. :/

Isn't the new finder coccoa?
i somehow can't see apple doing what they did with itunes, to the finder. have you looked at the resources for itunes? every part of the itunes interface is an .icns resource file. That is NOT the way to make a program..

I don't think it's Cocoa, but I don't know for sure.

Steve did say they have an all new Finder, but he could have just meant the design and look of it.

I don't know if the "new" Finder is Cocoa based or something but even in the Panther Preview version it kicks bottoms compared with the "old" Finder in about every single area! :p BUT... for the new Metal/Brushed while it looks strange at first, after a while you cannot go back to the old Finder (not to mention that many people out there use Metal/Brushed OS themes already :p ) :D The rest will theme it otherwise or even will demetallify it :rolleyes:

I still hope Apple removes Brushed metal from the Finder. Makes no sense to use it there. I also want to be able to DISABLE that well on the left _without_ disabling the toolbar. And I want the Finder to stick to that decision for new Finder windows. :/

They shouldn't break with stuff that worked so well in 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2 and replace it with a kiddy-Finder.

Originally posted by fryke
I still hope Apple removes Brushed metal from the Finder. Makes no sense to use it there. I also want to be able to DISABLE that well on the left _without_ disabling the toolbar. And I want the Finder to stick to that decision for new Finder windows. :/

They shouldn't break with stuff that worked so well in 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2 and replace it with a kiddy-Finder.

Well, if they will disable the metal thing no problems with me!

But in order to hide the left "PlacesBar" and not to hide the toolbar just double click on its right line where the small dot is... Boom! It will dissapear... Double click on the left line of the window, the one with the dot on it and Boom! Here is your "PlacesBar"... I don't remember if it will keep that change for all windows but give it a shot!

I thought that you read it this, in one of my posts here, some days before...

Anyways, feedback your opinions to Apple! It is important to do so :D ;)

It doesn't "Disappear". It's far from not visible. Not only does the splitter bar take up like 8 horizontal pixels still, but the GOD DAMN border (Which is totally useless and just takes up tons of space. I HATE IT!) takes up another like 12 pixels. You can only regain that space by switching to no toolbar mode which currently looks like crap.

SMART MOVE, APPLE!

I think we are gonna see a lot of fine-tuning from Apple with the new finder (hopefully including the said option to chnage to Aqua, and not have the side panel at all). I also agree, the left-hand bar is just totally wrong. It's too clostraphobic!

Apple really should listen to and consult its users before completely changing a tried-and-true feature that they basically just implemented. The brushed metal Finder is a horrible idea. I think it works in iTunes, but that's about it, not even Quicktime Player.

Back