Panther Builds 7B80 and 7B81

cjboffoli

Registered
Looks like we're really getting down to the wire. They are adding animations and new graphic stuff now that most of the bugs have been worked out of the infrastructure. Further speed optimizations are rumored to be screaming. My guess is that we will see 7B81 by sometime tomorrow.

Nope. It's just AppleInsider News reporting about either 'Apple internal' or 'fictive' builds. ;-)

From the supposedly 7B80 this is the only thing that I could find:
http://www.chaosmint.com/macintosh/articles/mac-os-x-panther-about.shtml

It looks cool! Isn't it? ;)

But what's MORE interesting (at least to me :p) is this:
http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,60597,00.html

A piece from there:
"Whatever Apple decides to do, the new logo got a hearty endorsement from Rob Janoff, the graphic designer who created Apple's original, rainbow-striped logo.

"It freshens it up," Janoff said of the new color scheme. "It's great to take an image and keep revising it and making it better. I'm totally into it."

Janoff acknowledged an outcry might be heard from Apple purists. He noted there were complaints in 1998 when Apple's CEO Steve Jobs ordered Janoff's rainbow-striped logo to be replaced with a monochrome version on the PowerBook G3, the first Mac to get the new logo.

"I'd rather they updated it than dumped it," he said.

Janoff said when he first presented the Apple logo to Steve Jobs in 1976, he showed a range of alternative monochrome designs. One of them was metallic silver and bore a striking resemblance to the new chrome logo.

"It's like I already designed it -- in 1976," said Janoff, laughing. He now runs his own agency, Newtrix, out of his home in the Chicago suburbs.

The new Apple logo appears throughout the latest build of the operating system, code-named Panther, which is expected to be released to the public in the next few weeks. The latest test version of the software was made available to software developers and beta testers over the weekend."

It has not been released to Select and Premier developers yet. 7B82 or higher is expected to be seeded over the weekend. Those were Apple internal builds afaik. (That's what I meant some posts above...)

im supposedly downloading 80 right now, i'll give a report when finished with all the cds ;)

There seems to be a 7B80 in the wild. However, it has not been officially seeded via ADC, which seems a bit strange. Either this is an internal build (leaked to the 'community') or a fake. If someone has more info about the build, please post here...

DVD player is fixed for iBooks. :) However, this build was _not_ seeded to ADC Select members. So I still don't know where it's really from. (Well, Apple, apparently, but...)

I have MacOS X.3 7B80 installed and I can't see any new features. It seems that 7B80 is more of a bug fixer more than anything.

The Desktop Printer is more than a Alias to the Print Centre than a actual Desktop Printer, but it's nice to have the feature.

I wonder how many more features from MacOS Classic are going to creep into MacOS X?

I want Themes, Appearance Sounds and proper WindowShade.

I don't see any speed bumps in this build either! :confused:

Any other views?

Well, new features are not really expected this late in the development cycle... But there might still be one or the other feature we just haven't found yet. Stability and speed are good. Compare to Jaguar, not to 'the last build'. Optimisation of code should not be a big part in FC phase, although I'm still not sure whether this is an FC or not...

One thing that concerns me is that a couple of programs (notably SNES9x and non-Apple wireless drivers) don't work under Panther. Until either they get updated for 10.3, or they have started working with 10.3, I can't install the beta build on my Lombard anymore.

I get a kernel panic on booting from the cd on my iBook 800:

panic(cpu 0): Unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerBook4,3:. :mad:

7b74 seems to be running okay for me, without any of the problems other people are having
:p

Back