Panther: Default Browser and eMail Client settings

GrBear

Registered
I noticed that one can no longer change things like the default eMail client, web browser or download path from the Network control panel. Has anyone figured out where Apple has moved/hidden these features now?

Thanks.

I don't know at all, but if I could hazard a guess, I would say possibly your account settings.

The default email app can be changed via Mail Preferences and the default web app can be changed via Safari Preferences... :D

That's not exactly Microsoft-ish (aka evil), but I do find it kinda sneaky. I wish they'd allow those settings to be changed somewhere in the System Preferences.

Not that you'd want to change your default apps from Safari or Mail, but if for some crazy reason, you did.... ;)

I don't think it was meant to be sneaky....probably meant to be more convenient...I suppose....but then again....who knows, the truth is out there.....somewhere.

Definitely not more convienent. It's a pain to find for a lot of people. These settings should have been left alone, all in one place where they've always been.

I tend to agree, it would have been alot easier if they left it in the network control panel where it always was.

I use Mailsmith in conjunction with Spamsieve.. the problem is, I deleted Apple's Mail client, so now I have no way to adjust the settings apparently.

A suprisingly lame move, for Apple.

I found the setting in Safari so I could change that, but it does seem rather Microsoft'ish that you have to run Apple's product in order to change to a different one.

Back