Panther - Disk Image "mounting Failed"

alarix

Registered
All of a sudden I am unable to mount DMGs. (Fugu, more iChat Smileys). At the same time, the alias's in the Dock for Fugu and iTunes (that both used to work) appeared with question marks on top of them and failed to work.

I ran Disk Utility to check and repair permissions. I downloaded a Fugu DMG again. I got the same result (won't mount).

I don't know what else to try to do.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Try moving these files to the Desktop and restart and try a .dmg;

/System/Library/Extension.kextcache

/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernalcaches/

Hi bobw, Thanks for the reply! But I cannot move the files but i copied these files and folders to Desktop and restarted. Unfortunately didn't work.

Copying won't help, you have to either move or delete. You may need to use your password.

Does this happen with all .dmg's? or just this one?

Create another user and log into that account and download that file and see if you can mount it.

Create another user and log into that account and download that file and see if you can mount it.

It worked now. Thanks for the help. There was some problem with deleting the files. I guess it worked properly after following the steps from
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031207012226892
Excerpts from the link:
I bought an iBook with OS X 10.3 and upgraded it to 10.3.1. After the upgrade, I could not mount disk images from my hard drive or burn CDs. Apparently this is a common problem after upgrading. I phoned AppleCare and this is what they had me do:
Run /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.
Click on “Macintosh HD” in the left column and then press the “Repair Disk Permissions” button. I don’t think this step was part of the solution to my problem.
Delete the file called /System/Library/Extension.kextcache
Delete the folder called /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernalcaches/
Restart
After these steps, disk images mount properly and the CD burner works.

Back