Panther Install CD Hangs Up

strunz

Registered
Hello, AppleFolk!

I'm in a bad way, and I need your help.

I've been trying to install Panther on my B&W G3/350 for some time now. I'm on my third set of discs. I got boned twice on eBay, then found a place called AppleRescue that sold me a retail install set.

Now, I insert the #1 CD and boot from it. I get the grey screen with the big Apple, then the little wheel starts to spin. After a few minutes, the wheel stops spinning, and the screen just stays there!

Just to let you know: plenty of memory, firmware is updated, CD/DVD drive is OK, have disconnected all peripherals.

PLEASE! I need to install this system ASAP. I've been waiting WEEKS, and have had nothing but bad luck. I have no hair left to pull out. Please help me find an answer other than spending more money.

Thanks,
Stan

Hi, Stan.

You've given some really good information here~and I'm in agreement with you: it's not the discs, the peripherals, or the CD/DVD drive.

You updated the firmware. Did you update the firmware before you ever tried to boot the Panther install disc? I am hoping you are answering in the affirmative. Part of the installation process is a check of the firmware.

You've removed any peripherals to test the boot and the install still deadlocks.

Now, let's see whether the board is a Rev 1 or 2. Revision 1s have been known to have some install trouble for several possible reasons and 350s may have either board in them. You can find out by disconnecting the AC power cord, removing the cover and looking for either: 1.) an embedded chip near the expansion slots that will read '402' if Revision 2, or 2.) taking quick glance at the HD bracket to see whether it accomodates up to 4 drives. If there is space for 4, then it is a Revision 2 and this is good news.

Sounds to me like the problem occurs in the process of checking firmware and/or reading the install packages (other issues with integrity.) This is where Revision 1 bites us: it wants a really standard factory hardware inside. Have you added hard drives since you got the Powermacintosh? If yes, then this may be the failure in starting the installation.

If you can identify a Revision 1 (sometimes called 'A' or 'B') then some techs would probably not recommend the install ( it will require some cost or looking around the office for spare parts and a workaround.)

If Revision 2, then I think you may be able to finesse it by removing all 3rd-party added hardware, including extra hard drives, put a good zero'ed initialization on the original hard disk after (of course) backing up your data to external HDD or the network. Since you've had so much trouble, an attempted in-place upgrade is not something I would suggest. You need the best start you can get.

I had a similar issue with one of our faculty's personal computers and he and I chose not to install Panther on his Revision 1. That solution involves trying several hardware additions/swaps to (hopefully) make a go and when it is successful, overall stability may suffer.

My concern is that your work is way too mission-critical to plunk around with unknowns when your system *must* be operational. In my opinion, if Revision 2 and you decide you want to finesse this, then...boot the current system, verify the firmware version and make sure it is correct, remove any 3rd-party added hard drives, initialize with a nice zero'ed disk from within the current OS, remove your media and Option+ boot the install disc.

Back