Panther installations stopps

tschak

Registered
Hi,

due to the fact that my system° tools stopped working (software update, system profiler, etc. do crash) I decided to solve the situation with a clean install (fsck, starting in save mode, flashing nvram/pram didn't help)

Unfortunately this doesn't work. When the white screen with the apple logo appears the system halts (the logo slightly "jumps" and the read operation from the cd stops). I've tried two different CDs but both won't do the job...

Has anyone an idea what the problem could be?

=================================

Could it be helpfull to update the current firmware (4.8.9f1)?
if yes, does anyone know how to do this?

================================

Another approach would be to reformat the whole drive using target mode/firewire...
Unfortunately I don't have access to firewire right here. Is it possible to use USB and Windows from a PC for it?

========================================

I just tried to boot from an OS 9 CD. The computer starts to read from it and then shows a folder with a alternating symbols ("?" and "2Faces") in the middle of the screen. After a couple of seconds it starts OS X 10.3.9 again...

Has anyone experienced this situation before?

=================================

Thanks in advance,
tschak

° Mac Mini with OS X 10.3.9

Are you trying to boot with the System disc that came with the Mini by holding the C key down?

Running 'FSCK' by starting in Single User Mode (Command-S) keys while booting -
then 'fsck-f' ??

There is no Firmware update for the Mac Mini.

Using USB and a PC - NO

The Mac Mini won't boot from any OS 9 disc.

I already checked the filesystem and it appears to be okay.

Concerning the CD... I'm not sure, cause I just moved to Hamburg and the flat is still a mess ;)

I already tried 2 different versions of OSX and both did not work. But in general, is it impossible to boot from a diffeerent disk than the one delivered with the computer? I was thinking about upgrading to tiger anyway so would that be a problem?

Thx for the information

If you're trying to boot with a disc from another machine, very likely it won't work. If the disc has a system on it older than what was shipped with your machine, it won't work.

that's good to know!!! I'll open a couple of boxes then and see if a find the newest OS X version which should be somewhere in there...

I hope it'll work once I find it!

Back