Panther Java 1.4.2 update won't work

jeepster485

Hit any user to continue
I FINALLY updated to Panther last night and was running the updates today and ran into a problem. I went to install the Java update and it gives me an error saying I have to update to Java 1.4.1 before I can update to Java 1.4.2. So I went and downloaded the Panther 1.4.1 Java update from Apple's site, installed it, and restarted the computer.....still won't let me update to 1.4.2 and gives me the same error. Anyone have a solution?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25788

Mac OS X 10.3.4: Unable to install Java Update 1.4.2

If you have Mac OS X v10.3.4 and Java 1.4.1 installed, you might need to move a package file before installing Java 1.4.2.

This document applies if you can't install Java 1.4.2 over Mac OS X v10.3.4 because this message appears when you try to install:

"You cannot install this software on this volume. Please install the Java 1.4.1 Update before proceeding with the update."

To fix this, follow these easy steps:

If the Java 1.4.2 installer is open, quit it.

Click the Finder icon in the Dock.

From the Go menu, choose Go to Folder.

Type: /Library/Receipts and click Go.
Find, then move the package file "QuickTimeJavaUpdate.pkg" to the desktop
Install Java 1.4.2
After installation, move QuickTimeJavaUpdate.pkg back into /Library/Receipts

jeepster485 said:
I FINALLY updated to Panther last night and was running the updates today and ran into a problem. I went to install the Java update and it gives me an error saying I have to update to Java 1.4.1 before I can update to Java 1.4.2. So I went and downloaded the Panther 1.4.1 Java update from Apple's site, installed it, and restarted the computer.....still won't let me update to 1.4.2 and gives me the same error. Anyone have a solution?

Thank you so much for the quick response! My problem is fixed! Now how did you search for that article? I tried to locate their knowledge database but didn't have luck. Thanks!

Your welcome, Jeepster.

Another good idea is to search the discussion board. Almost every-time I have had a problem a quick search of the discussion board usually results in an answer. Great resource...!

Cheers,
Tim

Back