Panther kills external FW drives

pishnaris

Registered
Just saw a notice that Panther wipes out data on external FireWire drives using the Oxford 922 bridge chip-set. That appears to be only on the FW 800 drives. Apparently, the 911 chip-set is okay. Anyone have more on this?

pishnaris said:
Just saw a notice that Panther wipes out data on external FireWire drives using the Oxford 922 bridge chip-set. That appears to be only on the FW 800 drives. Apparently, the 911 chip-set is okay. Anyone have more on this?

I would also like to know if the 911 is fine with Panther. Besides, how do I make sure I have a 911 and not a 922? (Firewire 101 for dummies, so to speak!)

Chris Belwinds said:
I would also like to know if the 911 is fine with Panther. Besides, how do I make sure I have a 911 and not a 922? (Firewire 101 for dummies, so to speak!)

I believe the 922 chip-set is only on the 800 mb/sec FireWire external drives, so if you are using the standard 400 mb/sec units, you've got the 911.

The official notice is here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/firewire800specialmessage.html

Apple has identified an issue with external FireWire hard drives using the Oxford 922 bridge chip-set with firmware version 1.02 that can result in the loss of data stored on the disk drive. Apple is working with Oxford Semiconductor and affected drive manufacturers to resolve this issue which resides in the Oxford 922 chip-set.

In the interim, Apple recommends that you do not use these drives. To stop using the drive, you should unmount or eject the disk drive before doing anything else. Please check this web page for further updates.

So does this mean I shouldn't use my iPod as a hard drive to pack my data up? Or is this referring to booting off of an external drive? I'm a bit confused.

Dlatu1983 said:
So does this mean I shouldn't use my iPod as a hard drive to pack my data up? Or is this referring to booting off of an external drive? I'm a bit confused.

This problem only occurs when installing Panther, so you're safe if the drive is turned off during installation. I believe the iPod isn't affected at all, anyway.

So does this mean I shouldn't use my iPod as a hard drive to pack my data up?

Not at all; this warning refers to some specific models of firewire hard drives, specifically drives that use the new Firewire 800 standard.

iPods are perfectly safe.

For safety, plug off all your external devices during installation (including all upgrades). And your battery.

Back