panther licensing

Moreese

Registered
Anyone know how the licences for Panther will work?

I just bought a 17in powerbook (which should have included it if you ask me). I also have a tower.

Do I need to buy the family pack to install it on both? If so, what about the other 3 copies. Can I give those to friends or do they somehow limit it to your registered machines?

Thanks,
Maurice

For more than one computer, technically you do need the family pack (it's still cheaper than two copies of the OS!). The license is only good for computers which are at your location.
The license is just a piece of paper. The family pack license is there just to make you feel less guilty when installing OS X on multiple computers at home. Remember, Apple has no cdkeys when installing OS X so there's no way Apple can tell you're even installing the OS without the appropriate license. But if you want to do the "right thing" buy the family pack if you have more than one computer in the house.... and tell your friends to buy their own copies too :)

Buy Your family pack and let your friends buy there own, it will add to the economics of apple lol

Originally posted by a2daj
Remember, Apple has no cdkeys when installing OS X so there's no way Apple can tell you're even installing the OS without the appropriate license.

I always wonder what kind of information is being reported back to Apple when you initially load a copy of OS X... I should take a network trace sometime, though it's probably encrypted...

Of course, chances are that if you fill out nonsense information, what they see is your IP address, which OS you installed (and which build), and your serial number...

Apple doesn't include any activation or gobbledygook like what Microsoft has, so one copy of Panther will work on multiple computers (though this isn't the legal, moral or ethical way to do it).

Back