Panther locks up 333MHz tray-load iMac, every time

bsandor

Registered
This is a first for me. I cannot get Panther to load/run on this iMac 333 with tray-load CD. The installer simply stalls/freezes at various points. I tried swapping all the RAM, no luck. I tried updating firmware to the latest for this model (1.2), but it tells me:
'The iMac Firmware Updater does not reognize the firmware on your iMac and cannot perform an update.

It's possible that have a newer firmware version.'

The Apple System Profiler says this about the iMac installed firmware:

ROM revision: $77D.45F6
Boot ROM version: 3.0.f3
Mac OS ROM file version: 8.7

WHich should be OK.

So, I removed the HD and installed Panther via another Mac on this HD, thinking maybe the CD is bad. Installed no problem, booted no problem (in the other Mac). When I put the HD back in the iMac, it now freezes at various points befor ethe desktop fully loads when running Panther (just like when installing), but still runns OK in OS 9.

Is there anything else am I missing? I'm worried about the "does not recognize the firmware" thing, but I don't know what else to try.

It is running Mac OS 9.2.2

When I try to load Firmware 1.1, it tells me that a newer version is already loaded, so it cannot load this one.

When I try to load Firmware 1.2, it tells me that it doesn't recognize the firware loaded, so it cannot proceed.

When I try to load Firmware 4.1.9 (which I know is only for slot-load iMacs, but I was curious as to what the message would say), it tells me that this firmware is not for this Mac and it cannot proceed.

Can the firmware be corrupt? How can it be removed, or how can I "force" the correct (1.2) firmware onto it?

Sounds like the "5 flavor iMac" I am trying to get Panther running on. If the last system I used was OSX I get this text message each time I reboot:
"bootr, unknown word.
Failed to Boot
Apple iMac Open Firmware 3.0.f10 built on 03/05/99 at 21:14:19
Copyright 1994-1998 Apple Computer, Inc
All Rights Reserved
ok
0>_"
If I zap the PRAM when I turn it on, it boots fine. Or if I started it using a CD with the OS 8.5 that came with it, the next time it will boot. OSX seems to work fine once I get it started. I think I got the firmware update 1.2 OK., it says ROM version 1.2.fa in the profile system. I wonder if anyone has gotten OSX to work on the 333 iMac.

Back