Panther on a B&W G3

chevy

Marvelous Da Vinci
Staff member
Mod
Do you have any experience on installing Panther on a B&W G3 ?
What is your configuration.

chevy said:
Do you have any experience on installing Panther on a B&W G3 ?
What is your configuration.

B&W G3/550 (OWC upgrade), Radeon 7000, 30 + 80 GB WD hard drives on SIIG ATA-133 PCI card, 1 GB RAM, USB 2.0 pci card with DVD-ROM and 40 GB WD hard drive on it.

Panther runs much faster and smoother than Jaguar.

GraphicUmp...

You beat me...

I just got my B&W and it has similar upgrades like yours. See my sig. I will 'most likely' be getting another 40 or 60 gig 7200rpm HD this weekend for it. Got my by 50Mhz on the chip and I can only dream about your video card. If I could do the video card and the HD I would.

I can't wait to get Panther on it as well. But what I am really waiting for, and have no idea if they will ever become a reality is the IBM 750GX (I think it was the GX) that has Altivec on it. If IBM does go ahead with this chip, and someone like OWC or someone sticks it on a ZIF board, man o' man that would be cool.

Anyway, just wanted to say nice system...but then I started rambling.

Later,
Eddie

Vard said:
GraphicUmp...

You beat me...

I just got my B&W and it has similar upgrades like yours. See my sig. I will 'most likely' be getting another 40 or 60 gig 7200rpm HD this weekend for it. Got my by 50Mhz on the chip and I can only dream about your video card. If I could do the video card and the HD I would.

I can't wait to get Panther on it as well. But what I am really waiting for, and have no idea if they will ever become a reality is the IBM 750GX (I think it was the GX) that has Altivec on it. If IBM does go ahead with this chip, and someone like OWC or someone sticks it on a ZIF board, man o' man that would be cool.

Anyway, just wanted to say nice system...but then I started rambling.

Later,
Eddie

Eddie-

You usually can find the Radeon for about $100...I used mysimon.com to find mine for $105 in April. OWC has it for $100 (open box) sometimes...$117 normally. It's really a nice addition :p 'Course, I agree with you - I'd like to get the IBM on a ZIF, too....

Yeah....that's about were I have been finding them....the 32 meg I have seen for as low as $75 and the 64 meg for around $110....but ANY MORE money spent on the computer might just cause death to happen to me from my wife.

Later,
Eddie

Those prices you quote, Vard, are probably for PC versions of the Radeon 7000 card. There's only one Mac version of the 7000, and it's 32MB. The lowest I've seen it, brand-new, is $112...

You can "flash" PC cards to work in a Macintosh, but as with any hack, results can vary widely.

Hmmm....

I am pretty sure they were mac cards...that said, it was on eBay, not new.

The 64 meg card was not the 7000, a card listed simply as ATI Radeon Mac edition...specifically stating that it was not the 7000, but PCI still.

Who knows, maybe my memory is shot this late on a Friday...what I do know is that I wont be getting one anytime soon, unless I get a HUGE pay raise or win the lottery...neither of which are likely.

Couldn't you see it...750GX ZIF running at say, 1 Ghz, 64 meg PCI card and another HD is my B&W....that would give my QuickSilver a pretty good run for it's money.

Ah to dream....

Eddie

Hehe... well, Sonnet and Powerlogix are cranking out the processor upgrades like CRAZY these days... I'm waiting for a 1GHz G4 ZIf for my Yikes! machine... they've got it working on the beige G3s, and I speak extensively with a gentleman named Scott at Sonnet Tech frequently who keeps me updated on the status of the upgrades for my machine... Sonnet has some of the best e-mail customer support I've ever run into.

Be VERY WARY of the cards sold on eBay. A lot of them are flashed PC cards which either will or won't work in a Mac, and they don't tell you that up front, or at all. That's how they're making the money -- purchasing cheaper PC cards, flashing them, then selling them for a premium. The Radeon 7000 32MB PCI PC version card is MUCH MUCH cheaper than the Mac version. I would suggest buying a brand-new, boxed version of the 7000 Mac edition for your B/W, or, if you can find it, a PCI Radeon Mac edition (the original Radeon, not the 7000). You'll get a warranty, guaranteed compatibility, and peace of mind to boot.

Roger that EDCC.

Like I said, it may be a while, but your concerns will be heeded.....is that even a word?

Later,
Eddie

Hehe... sure it is, you can add -ed to anything and it'll be a word! Worded! Anythinged! It'lled! See?! Hehe... :p

At any rate, good luck -- I replaced a Rage 128 PCI with a Radeon 7000 and the increase in graphics performance was amazing. I can run Quake at 1024x768 at hi-res and it's like butter... wonderful. I moved the Rage 128 to a 33MHz slot, and run a second monitor off of it. It's a beautiful setup.

Back