Panther + PB12" + More fan?

LordCoven

Registered
Hey there,

Just wondering if anyone else has a PB12", has upgraded to Panther (i.e. not bought it with Panther already on there) and has noticed that the processor fan is used a hell of a lot more???

Or is it just me. :)

Cheers,
C

Yup, I think this happened since the 10.3.2 update. They reduced the temp-limit for the fan so the powerbooks won't get that warm. However, there is a hack out that reverts this. Check out search, there was a thread on this.

And one more thing:
Does auto in Energy Saver really dynamically set the CPU speed? I am very much under the impression that this isn't possible in the current generation of G4s because of the lack of a technology similar to SpeedStep et al. A new generation of G4s is being prepped which *do* have this technology and should be able to dynamically switch speed ...
C

This is the hack.
I have the option of the CPU speed on reduced and there is neither a gain in duration nor does the system feel less snappy. Guess it's more a psychological thing ;)

Shame - that link came back with an 'Unable to find the page you requested'. I'll have a dig on version tracker myself :)
Well - if there's no perceived increase in duration, I may as well leave it on Highest :);)
Thanks for the infos Zammy-Sam :):)
C

Oops, why so? Weird. I actually copy pasted the link. However, you should look for this: Silent Night 1.1
Good luck!

Reducing CPU speed does make a difference. I guess it depends on what you do. If you're doing some CPU intensive app like MATLAB or Photoshop or VPC, you will notice the difference.

The battery life increase isn't much. I get about 15 minutes more, which isn't enough to justify the slow speed.

Back