Panther problem? Open and Save dialog boxes, slow to open...

cockneygeezer

Registered
Dear All,

I am running Panther (10.3.2) on a PowerBook G4 (Spec in sig).
I have notice of the last few weeks a problem with my software that is starting to get to me.

When ever I try to open or save a document within an application, the dialog boxes take quite some time to appear. In fact, sometimes, over a minute. This gives me the impression that the application has crashed.

Does anyone else have this problem? My colleague does and we are at a miss on what could be causing it?

I have looked on the Apple Discussion website, no result and I have looked here as well, no result.

Does anyone have a solutions? Before some clever dick replies "Repair the permissions/disk", (seems to be the flavour of the month at the minute) I have already done this, to no avail. Is it a bug with 10.2.3 or is it something that I have installed? I am not running any Haxies.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

I have the same problem with 10.3.2 on a Powerbook 12" Superdrive with 768MB of RAM. I thought it was because I chose to just upgrade from 10.2.8(which I had no problems with) to 10.3. I reinstalled using a format and install 10.3 and I am still having the same problem. I've repaired permissions and I've done fresh installs of all my applications. I've even started in single user mode(CMD S) at boot so I could run FSCK -f. I still am having the problem. I ran Yasu from version tracker to clean all caches from the system with no luck. Any solutions or ideas would be great.

Thanks.

bobw said:

Currently the system is doing fine. It really is an intermitent problem more so of a problem. I'm starting to lean toward the fact that it may have something to do with the mirror agent that iDisk uses to keep a local copy synched up. When the problem does occur I noticed earlier today that it even will take forever for Activity Monitor to open. It almost seems to be frozen and then switching actions in Activity Viewer again takes forever. I'm going to wait for it to happen next to see if it is the Mirror Agent. I'll let everyone know what my discoveries are.

Thanks.

I don't know if this fix will correct your problem, but it did mine for the open save dialog boxes. Everytime that I had the problem and went into Activity Viewer I had problems getting into Activity Viewer to view or quit processes. I finally put up with the delay and quit a couple of the suspecting processes in there. It took a very long time to navigate to shut these items off but after I did the system and Activity Viewer went back to normal speeds. Here is my fix.

1. Open Activity Viewer.
2. Force Quit "Mirror Agent". (apples iDisk sync process)
3. Force Quit "mount_webdav". (apple trying to mount iDisk process)

That did it for me. I hope this helps others as well.

Back