Panther; program compatability & OS9 boot

t_habrock

Registered
Hey guys,

Hope you all can help? I am considering upgrading to OS X PANTHER, but was wondering will my current applications work with 10.3 (I'm especially curious about Macromedia MX, MS Office X, Photoshop 7, Norton SystemWorks & Utilities).

Also, I currently have a dual boot machine, how will I get my OS 9 boot capabilites back (or can I even at all...)? The reason I ask is becasue I currently get it by using my Software Restore disks that came with my G4 and I am not sure if it is compatable with Panther.

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

T

The productivity applications should work fairly well; the utilities are most likely going to need updates before they will work correctly in Panther.

To keep your dual boot capabilities, simply don't wipe your hard drive and do a clean install of Panther. It will leave your Classic system alone for the most part and you will be able to use it just fine. If you do wipe the disk, however, you should reinstall OS 9 first (including the drivers), then put Panther on.

arden said:
you do wipe the disk, however, you should reinstall OS 9 first (including the drivers), then put Panther on.

That's the problem I'm worried about, I don't have an OS 9 install disk proper. My G4 came with OS X/OS 9 built in and when I recently had to re-install OS X 10.2 here is how I got my OS 9:

I wiped the HD;
Installed OS X 10.2;
Then used the System Software disks that came with my G4, this is where OS 9 was re-installed.

So without an OS 9 install disk will I be able to get it another way or will I lose it; MAYBE my original System Software disks are compatible with OS X 10.3 (Panther)?

Thanks,
Tim

If your system restore CD's work with your computer now, there's no reason they shouldn't work in 10.3.

I recommend you burn a copy of your OS 9 system which you can copy back to your CD if you need to. You will then have a copy of Classic which will enable you to install the OS 9 drivers should it become necessary.

Back