panther server for the desktop?

octane

I have issues, OK!
A question that -- for me at least -- is becoming more relevant with each passing day: is Panther Server usable for regular desktop applications?

I imagine that it is. The thing for me is that I've got my G4 set up with a fixed IP address and I would like to set my mac up as a dev box for my clients, rather than having to mirror my work onto the various ftp accounts that I have. This is process that is prone to deep errors and is a constant source wasted time .. time I can ill afford to waste!

Also, is it possible for me associate a domain name with my fixed IP address? That would give the whole affair a more professional edge...

Panther Server is Panther with some additional software added. It works quite well as a server, although any good network admin would cringe at the thought of a user at a server restarting after installing something or crashing the server and causing corruption of connected users files. It just is not a good idea.

However, your scenario would probably work as long as you watch when your users are connected and make sure you don't do anything to jeopardize their access/connection.

On the domain/IP q, yes you can. However, depending on your ISP Terms of Service (TOS) you may not be allowed to run a server (I know Comcast and Verizon both scan for open server ports) on their system. If you can, just setup DNS hosting somewhere and have it point to your static IP. Give it about 24 hours to go worldwide and you are good to go

Hope this helps.

macmikey said:
Panther Server is Panther with some additional software added. It works quite well as a server, although any good network admin would cringe at the thought of a user at a server restarting after installing something or crashing the server and causing corruption of connected users files. It just is not a good idea...

The purpose of this set up would be purely for testing & development of web-based applications for my clients.

I wouldn't casually invite anybody in there. The people in question would be clients and coworkers only. So that scenario isn't too much of a problem.

macmikey said:
However, your scenario would probably work as long as you watch when your users are connected and make sure you don't do anything to jeopardize their access/connection.

Which is a given.

macmikey said:
On the domain/IP q, yes you can. However, depending on your ISP Terms of Service (TOS) you may not be allowed to run a server (I know Comcast and Verizon both scan for open server ports) on their system. If you can, just setup DNS hosting somewhere and have it point to your static IP. Give it about 24 hours to go worldwide and you are good to go

Hope this helps.

Given that I have a fixed IP supplied by my broadband ISP, I'd have to wonder why they'd block me from running a server. After all, why would they give me an IP address in the first place?

I'd see this a chance to get familiar with a server environment which I intend using as the basis of my new business venture .. non of that Microsoft crap in here, friend!

...Given that I have a fixed IP supplied by my broadband ISP, I'd have to wonder why they'd block me from running a server. After all, why would they give me an IP address in the first place?

I know with Comcast, which is what I use, they do allow mail servers, just not web. Don't know why, never asked.

The purpose of this set up would be purely for testing & development of web-based applications for my clients.

Are you an ADC member? If not I would suggest joining as (I think) you can get a good discount on OSX Server.

What I'd like to know is can you install Panther and Panther Server on the same machine select which one you want to boot into? Or possibly install Panther Server on an external drive and boot off of it alternatively. I'd like to try it out without buying more hardware.

Back