Panther size?

dirtbag

Registered
I'm preparing my partitions for Panther.
I haven't found a reference in the forums concerning its size. I'm assuming its roughly comparable to Jaguar. Can anyone confirm it's size in relation to Jaguar?

ttfn dirtbag

It's basically the same size as Jaguar. More and bigger iApps plus some new languages...

However: Do NOT make your main partition too small. Ever. Mac OS X _likes_ space on the main partition. Unless you completely customise the way virtual memory is handled and symlink your User folders. But even then...

How many languages does it have now?

I never used more than 2 (italian and english, now just english. maybe i install spanish too, for fun). And that feels already more than average ;).

I hope the updates will e able to be installed in Panther then "English Only" or chosen "International". When my system has one language packs only, in Jaguar the updates got all language packs so my applications still had useless space for all those languages I've never used, never will and don't even understand. Having "English Updates Only" is updates will save a lot of download time and Apple's bandwidth, I hope it'll be implemented.. :)

'Delocalizer' download from versiontracker, will do selective deletion of those foreign language files from all apps. Won't touch English, Using that app removed 700 MB from a new Jaguar install! It'll likely still work with Panther.

Yes, but that nor Monolingual work on the updated versions. So when you'll update like from 10.3.1 to 10.3.2 the standard update adds all language packs to your system. At least in Jaguar it always did. And monolingual didn't get away that stuff, so I opened frustratedly all the programs and deleted the stuff i didnt need (all languages i didnt ever want to use).

When you install the OS, just choose CUSTOM installation, and decide which languages you want to use. That way there is no need to use those delocalisers.

Panther on my system was a 1.4GB install (I do custom tweaking on my installs). It is about 2.2GB for the standard install.

Back