Panther - Sleep of Death!

dixonbm

Registered
Ever since I downloaded that last security update I've been having a problem with my machine when it goes to sleep.

IT NEVER WAKES UP!

Well, actually it just freezes when I put it to sleep. Screen doesn't turn off. Mouse disappears, keyboard is non-responsive, and screen is frozen.

Has anyone else had this problem? This is happening on my Dual G4 1GHZ.

Unless there is a fix I'm just going to start shutting it down every night, because there is no way I'm doing an archive and install.

If I'm deadlocked I'll probably just break down and call Apple.

oh that makes me shudder b/c i just downloaded that about 10 minutes ago. :( anyhoo, i have a 12" powerbook and i was having a problem with that a few months ago (running plain ol jaguar), and when i talked to an apple tech, he had me delete a couple of files out of my library. this worked really well, but unfortuntately, i can not remember where they were or what they were... i just know that there are a couple of files with really long run-on sentence names (no spaces) that control your mac going into sleepy mode. again, i'm not sure how this works, but i'd imagine it's something like the preference files in 9.x, that is, they get all funky and you can delete them and they are recreated fresh next time you use the app? i could be wrong. maybe someone could elaborate on my vague descriptions here?

i hope this is helpful to you!

lex

dixonbm said:
Ever since I downloaded that last security update I've been having a problem with my machine when it goes to sleep.

IT NEVER WAKES UP!

Well, actually it just freezes when I put it to sleep. Screen doesn't turn off. Mouse disappears, keyboard is non-responsive, and screen is frozen.

Has anyone else had this problem? This is happening on my Dual G4 1GHZ.

Unless there is a fix I'm just going to start shutting it down every night, because there is no way I'm doing an archive and install.

If I'm deadlocked I'll probably just break down and call Apple.

Try resetting the power management button. You should see it near the internal battery when you open up the tower.

Don't you just hate when that happens :(
I never let my machine sleep, haven't in a long time.

I didn't see you mention any doing anything like fsck, repair disk or permissions. Have you?

Why not update to 10.2.8 or Panther.

Yeah, I ran disk warrior, repair permissions, repair disk. I have Panther. (I need to update my sig). My computer is in my bedroom and I couldn't sleep with it on all night. So, it has to sleep.

Back