Panther, the Garfield among the OSX versions?

Ifrit

Registered
Ok, I finished to restore my system to its former functionality. (Installing my applications, customize the system etc.) But after looking at the HDs 'get info' I saw that I only have around 4GB of free HD space left. Yikes!
On Jaguar I had around 10GB left and I didn't installed more on my panther system than on osx 10.2.

My system: Ibook G3 700Mhz with 20GB HD.

I already searched for offending disc image, big sit files etc. but didn't find anything worthwhile. No, I didn't enable file vault.

Does anybody know how to reduce panthers weight? For exmaple through removing language resources. What programs could be usefull for cleaning up the os?

but don't remove all beside german pack. I think you should keep english pack as well.
Or rather switch to enlish and drop all other. It is very confusing to work with the english terminal folder-names and german "alias" in the finder ;)

Btw, did you also check options during the panther installation? In 10.2 I was able to customize my installation. Would be surprised if this is no more possible with panther.

During my Panther install, I saved quite a lot of space by removing all except Norwegian and English languge/font (removing all other languages and fonts), removing applications I'd never use and removing drivers for printers I don't own...

Unfortunally it isn't possible after(!) the installation to remove certain things, like language packs which aren't needed. I was so excited after I got panther that I forgot to customize my installation.
At least I restored 1GB by after trashing the developer folder. (I believe it was needed for the installation of fink, (previous versions of fink relied on the developer tools)

Apple should really think about a uninstall panel in system preferences.
Monolingual doesn't work, it stops after the loading bar reached one quarter. One way to remove not needed language packs and printer driver manually?

In the meantime I'll move some of my applications/ games to the ipod (15GB) in order to free some HD space (and until apple fixes the FW issue, so I don't have to be afraid to connect my external LaCie FW drive).

Ifrit said:
Unfortunally it isn't possible after(!) the installation to remove certain things, like language packs which aren't needed. I was so excited after I got panther that I forgot to customize my installation.
At least I restored 1GB by after trashing the developer folder. (I believe it was needed for the installation of fink, (previous versions of fink relied on the developer tools)

Apple should really think about a uninstall panel in system preferences.
Monolingual doesn't work, it stops after the loading bar reached one quarter. One way to remove not needed language packs and printer driver manually?

In the meantime I'll move some of my applications/ games to the ipod (15GB) in order to free some HD space (and until apple fixes the FW issue, so I don't have to be afraid to connect my external LaCie FW drive).

I used Monolingual to remove all language files except English and it worked fine for me. Strange that it did not work for you.

Back