Panther Troubleshooting...

vikingshelmut

100% Bull Plop
I am having various issues with Panther, and I was wondering who else was having issues, and if anybody knows how to fix my main problem.

Occasionally, the Finder will stop showing icons, mainly folders and the "sidebar" icons for iDisk and Network. In large icon views, there is no icon at all, and in some small icon views, a transparant rectangular box is visible where the icon would be. Logging out doesn't seem to fix it, nor did force quitting. Soometimes I can fix the problem temporarily (don't know how I did it), but restarting seems to be the only way.

Any ideas?

I've had similar issues with the first clean install on my FW harddrive. After I reinstalled, they were gone. I then upgraded my main system and: No such problems at all.

Can you reinstall or, if that seems too much work, 'upgrade'? It'll automatically check your system.

Also: The same applies as to Jaguar. Try fsck-ing the disk (although Journaling is enabled), try resetting PRAM...

Other ideas?

I am having an issue that i haven't seen anyone else describe. I am suffering frequent temporary "hangs". Everything freezes for about 3 to 5 seconds and then goes back to normal. This happens very frequently, but not at any exact interval or after any particular action by my part. The first time i had installed, i had done an upgrade install, so i figured something must have gone wrong there, so i did an erase and install (twice) and am still having the exact same issue.

I am using a G4 500DP with 1 Gig ram and a Radeon 32Meg Video Card. The drive I am installing on is a completely seperate (not a partition) 5 Gig internal IDE drive.

Any ideas?

Have Panther on another drive than my main one. Did a clone of my main system to the other partition, then upgraded to Panther. Was working ok, haven't really been using it, just boot into it to play. Just tried booting into Panther and hangs at Looking for Apple File Services. Won't go past that point. Any clues?

Anyone able to connect to a wintel machine with panther? I can find the machines, but I have no access to the files, eventhough the login works...

tnx!

in another thread i saw that you _can_ connect if you know the complete path to the directory. seems like apple has put more energy into the Finder and other stuff before WWDC (SMB is 'just another filesharing protocol that they have to finish'...).

if nothing works: FTP does. just install a small (free) FTP server on the wintel machine or network the other way 'round...

Has anybody experienced this?

Sometimes when switching users, the computer hangs for about 30 seconds, and then logs EVERYBODY out. I have to re-login and all my processes have obviously been quit.

No, I do have a serious bug though. When I manually set my computer to sleep, and then wake up from it, it tends to go to sleep every 5 minutes.

It seems like I have a couple more problems...
I took the plunge and installed it yesterday. I upgraded rather than doing a clean install and here are my problems
1. I cannot for the world find Disk Copy.
2. X11 on the taskbar is missing (it has a questionmark although it is in utilities)
3. Installing and updating of software seems EXTREMELY slow. I mean the 12MB test update took some 2 hours.

I would appreciate any help especially regarding Disk Copy

disc copy is no more. Not now anyway. maybe they are working on a better version and will include in in the final.

Vrapan: I think DiskCopy was removed from Panther. A lot of functionality was passed to the OS (like mounting disks).

If Panther is slow, you can go through all the customary mantainance routines: it worked for me when it became sluggish.

- Do the daily/weekly/monthly routines. ("sudo periodic daily" or "sudo /etc/daily sh")
- Repair permissions with DiskUtility
- Reboot

From sluggish, my system became fast once more, cmd-Tab started working again, etc.

I just found out that Disk Copy has been integrated with Disk Utility. Not sure I like the approach but oh well.

Thanks Cat I will try it although the only thing that is slow is the installation of software everything else is at least double speed the 10.2.6 - starting up apps and window rendering and responsiveness. Quite amazing speed improvements for a preview release....

Originally posted by djeans
I am having an issue that i haven't seen anyone else describe. I am suffering frequent temporary "hangs". Everything freezes for about 3 to 5 seconds and then goes back to normal. This happens very frequently, but not at any exact interval or after any particular action by my part. The first time i had installed, i had done an upgrade install, so i figured something must have gone wrong there, so i did an erase and install (twice) and am still having the exact same issue.

I am using a G4 500DP with 1 Gig ram and a Radeon 32Meg Video Card. The drive I am installing on is a completely seperate (not a partition) 5 Gig internal IDE drive.

Any ideas?

Have this on my iBook when it's been up and put to sleep for a fre days. Seems to dissapear with a rebboot on mine.

Hi guys a few more problems...

Warcraft 3 FT is crashing after the installation of Panther constantly. 5 minutes into the game it is down.

Mail has quite a few problems even after the update. Most annoying of them the spam filter seems to be under performing big time. I can't find the option to turn it to training mode either.

While on Expose my cursor is hardly moving. It seems like it sticks on one place for long time and then might move if I keep trying to.

Anoyone experiencing these? Anoyone with work arounds/ solutions?

i noticed previewing pictures in column view in the finder is alot slower... like it doesnt cache the thumbnails anymore...

Back