Parallel printers?

getcalibrated

Registered
Hello,

I just got my first iMac last week after 15 years of wintelism. I have everything work that I need except printing. I have a peer-to-peer network set up and working.

I would like to share the printers on my wintel (2000) box with my new iMac so I don't have to buy a new USB printer. I contacted Belkin about a USB/Parallel converter kit but it is not supported under OSX.x.x yet (but coming soon according to Belkin).

Can someone tell me how to connect to a wintel printer from OSX over a network? I have LPR/LPD setup on the wintel box, but the final print out is junk. I can't find a driver for the iMac for this printer.

Thanks

gc.

If you don't mind spending a little moolah, there is a product called Dave that might support your printer. It basically extends Mac OS X's Samba capabilities so you can put your Mac on a windows network and even print. You will want to check their site to see if your printer is supported.

Another option, if you're keeping the Windows box going anyway, is to use the print to file option. This creates a PDF (Adobe Acrobat) file that will print out easily on the Windows machine with exactly the same colours, typefaces and formatting. It's a bit round-about, but if you set it up sensibly it will be easy to cope with.

Back