Parallels help

llee8820

Registered
Ok, so i recently got parallels and im having a slight problem with the devices. I want to burn a .iso file onto a dvd, so booted up my burning program, but it detects that no burning device. Parallels does however can read dvd or cd's that i put in my macbook, but it seems when i load up a burning program i detect a burning device. Is there a way to solve this problem? Thank you.

Well, for one thing, you could use a _Mac_ program to burn the .iso files. The virtual environment doesn't really have access to all the hardware features the Mac has. For that you'd have to use BootCamp and _really_ install Windows on the computer (but then you lose the advantages of Parallels, i.e. you'd have to reboot into Windows to use its features and back to use the Mac's).

Hi Fryke,

I am new to macs and was hoping to use Parallels to access mainframe server using a terminal emulator and bluetooth mobile phone via windows XP. This is the one bit of unfun business I need to use the mac for - I have bought it primarily for movie editing and web design work.

I have loaded Windows XP into the Parallels virtual machine but there doesnt appear to be much active in the way of hardware (ie. wireless network device, bluetooth).

Are there more steps I need to go through or is this software inadequte for the task I have.

Cheers
firman

You don't need Parallels Workstation to access a mainframe. There are many excellent terminal emulation applications available for MacOS X. You should first try accessing your mainframe using the Terminal. If it is not to your taste, you may tryout the terminal emulators that you see here.

Thanks for the reply. I have used terminal and this gives me rudimentary access giving minimal functionality. However, I use two PC / Windows based applications that cant be replaced by Terminal.

Thanks
Eric

I am new to Mac and also just installed Parallels and Windows XP pro. When I try to connect my Sansa e280 to windows it crashes it. Any suggestions? My music player is Rhapsody on windows.

Parallels keeps running, but Windows restarts. The Microsoft message is that a fatal error occured from which it cannot recover.

Back