Parallels VT-x Support Problem

bobt

Registered
I have been having a running email conversation with the the Parallels support team over an issue with VT-x support on my Mac Intel Mini without getting any resolution. Maybe somebody else has seen my problem and knows of a solution.

When I start a Windows XP VM, I get the following message:

"Your CPU supports Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x) but it
is currently disabled (locked by firmware). Virtual machine will be
started without VT-x support (in software virtualization mode)."

I was told that this was a rom update problem but I think that I have the latest ROM version. The following is from System Profile for my machine:

Machine Name: Mac mini
Machine Model: Macmini1,1
CPU Type: Intel Core Duo
Number Of Cores: 2
CPU Speed: 1.66 GHz
L2 Cache (shared): 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MM11.0055.B03
Serial Number: RM624697VJM
SMC Version: 1.3f4

Can anybody confirm that I have the correct ROM version? If it is the latest, any insite into what may be disabling VT-x support or how to "unlock it in firmware"?

Thanks for any help that I get.

Bob

Scott:

Thanks for the guidance but as you can see by my profile listing, I already did upgrade to ROM vs. MM11.0055.B03 which was the result of using the upgrade that you pointed me to. Unfortunately, this did not correct the problem. Any other ideas?

Bob

So, when you load the software and click on "Accelerating" or Configuration Editor -> VM Flags (under Resource Options) can you modify the Acceleration Level or enable it?

I know it tells you this with the error msg, but just wanted to know what you saw under those settings.

Scott:

Yes, the acceleration level and the enable box are active. I have enabled and disabled support. The message does not appear when disabled and reappears when enabled. I have only tried setting level to "High".

Thanks for your continued support.

Bob

Scott:

After my last reply, I decided to play around with different settings for acceleration level. I set the level to "Normal", enabled VT-x support, and then started the VM. I did not get the "locked by firmware" message. I then set the level back to"High" and then restarted the VM. Again, no "locked by firmware" message. It appears that Parallels got out of sync somehow that changing the level corrected. Time will tell if this fixed the problem in the long run.

Bob

Back