Parallels

irfaan

Registered
Hey,

Does anyone know if you can get parallels for powerpc imacs? If so, where can you get it from. On their website it only has software for intel macs. Unfortunetly it is going to be a while before I can get a new intel mac, and I bought virtual pc, but it is painfully slow, and doesn't run all the applications properly.

Thanks

It's virtualisation software, i.e. you could - if it would exist - only run PowerPC operating systems within Parallels on PowerPC - just like you can only run intel OSs within Parallels on an intel Mac. So what _you_ probably are looking for is something like Microsoft VirtualPC, which emulates a whole PC on a PowerPC Mac.

Aw, just saw that you _do_ have VPC. Well: There's no short cut here. You have a PowerPC, and that is not an intel machine - and emulation simply isn't the same thing as virtualisation.

Sigh... thanks. Maybe what I will do is increase my RAM and see if that helps, I'm only at 512mb. I have a question about that, but will post it in the hardware section.

Thanks again!

Sigh... thanks. Maybe what I will do is increase my RAM and see if that helps, I'm only at 512mb. I have a question about that, but will post it in the hardware section.

Thanks again!
I havent used virtual pc and I have an Intel mac but; when I had 512 RAM with paralells it was also VERY slow. I upgraded to 2gigs (overkill) and now I can run 2 systems with almost no degredation.

So, I think 1 gig or RAM would help out a lot!

Parallels Workstation is a MacOS X application. To run Windows comfortably, you need 512 MB RAM. This means that PW requires this much plus additional RAM to cover its overhead. You also need RAM to run your other MacOS X tasks. Long story short, you need at least an additional 1GB RAM to handle PW.

If possible, use Windows 98 instead of newer versions. It's much faster.

More RAM might help, depending on how many apps you use while using VPC. Personally, I never noticed much of a difference when upgrading from 256MB to 1GB, but I don't use many apps in Windows (I just quickly test some apps I write and then quit) and I don't switch back and forth between OS X and Windows much while using it. If you do either of those things, you'll benefit from more RAM, but don't expect VPC to ever be fast.

Back