Paraplegic computer, dying slowly from the inside. Broken mouse and keyboard.

lord.enlil

Registered
Stats: Macbook running Leopord, with 10.5.6

I've been sabotaged- some important files in my extensions folder got deleted (I think some USB drivers). My computer still works, but my mouse and keyboard are completely non-responsive; basically, my computer is paralyzed.
I tried booting in safe mode- didn't work. I get to the password screen and I can't move my mouse or use my keyboard. Even the Caps-Lock light doesn't turn on.
Interestingly, the computer recognizes the keyboard when it's still in boot-up mode. I only know this because it understands when I want to boot in safe mode (and I hold down Shift), and it even boots in safe mode, but I still can't use mouse or keyboard.
So- any advice, tips or suggestions from the pros?

Sabotaged?

Assuming it was not my version of "sabotage" which roughly translates into I have done something really stupid to my System, I am surprised you let someone have access to your system--gave them your Password.

Be that as it may, boot up on your Intallation Disk, try to repair with Disk Utility. If that fails, consider simple Archive and Install to get your data if you need to. Otherwise, a simple Clean Install will give you a nice new System. Update it with the ComboUpdate you can download from Apple's site.

Then hunt down the person who sabotaged your computer and deal with them using some of the more painful meat hooks.

Then, to prevent future problems, under Disk Utility from your Installation Disk, set a Firmware Password. This will prevent unauthorized users from booting your computer on another disk.

Then change your Administrator Password. You can do that under Disk Utility as well.

--J.D.

Back