Parental Control

guilly

Too handsome to use a PC
Hello.

My kid is growing fast. May I have some advice for some good parental control software (easy to use, please!) for OS X?.

Tnx! ::angel::

Randman said:
There's a parental control software now available if you have .Mac.

:confused: I do have .Mac, but never heard of it. I'm gonna see at mac.com and if I don't find anything we'll talk again.

Child-Safe Browsing with Free
Norton Parental Control
Now you can stop worrying about what your children may be seeing on the web.
Through October 6, 2004, Norton Parental Control is a free download for .Mac members. It lets you block access to sites you feel are unsuitable your children, based on comprehensive checklists created (and updated) by Symantec's web content experts.
Norton Parental Control offers a high level of customization that puts the parent in charge. Website access is controlled by choosing ready-to-use categories, so you can block some types of sites while allowing children to view others. The rules can be customized for each child in the household. You can also block or permit specific websites simply by adding their URLs. With this member exclusive, .Mac members will receive monthly updates to the Parental Control list for one year.
Under What's New, May 17.

NortonParentalControl is available for .mac members. It's in the software folder on your iDisk.
Since it's Norton's, I don't think I'd use it.

I tried Norton Parental Control... and stopped. It hangs the Mac if your Mac is multi-users and it remains on for several hours. This software is buggy.

chevy said:
I tried Norton Parental Control... and stopped. It hangs the Mac if your Mac is multi-users and it remains on for several hours. This software is buggy.

Yes. Norton Parental Control seems to be unstable. I also tried it after discovering it at .mac. It blocks all my HTTPS/SSL requests even when inactive. I go through a proxy though, but that has never happened before. Uninstalling it solved the proble.

I believe that Norton should be more careful with the programs they release for advertising. With this "below-the-average" product I don't really feel like buying Norton Utilities 8.

Guilly

You're a little behind. Symantec is not going any further with their Utilities for the Mac. Dropping support. I wouldn't buy any Norton product for OS X. I would also advise you, if you have Norton Utilities, don't run in on an OS X system. It has caused a lot of problems.

Good to know, since I do have Norton Utilities 7 for OS X, but I never installed it in my new system. Any advice for a good replacement?

Disk Utility, in your Utility folder is very good, also DiskWarrior and TechTool Pro are good programs to have.

Back