Paris keynote hints of faster machines.

Oscar Castillo

Registered
If you haven't caught the Steve Jobs' Paris keynote on the Apple site, he reached a point in the keynote when he talked about how 2003 will bring no OS 9 just Classic through OS X. He hinted at faster machines which may still sport the current "new" models look by saying "...All the new models of Macs including faster versions of the current models will only boot into Mac OS X.."
Could mean something is brewing.

Well of coarse faster computers are coming. Probably at MWSF '03. Apple always has something brewing. It's not like it's a big secret that Apple will eventually release faster computers.

Originally posted by wdw_
Well of coarse faster computers are coming. Probably at MWSF '03. Apple always has something brewing. It's not like it's a big secret that Apple will eventually release faster computers.

What I wrote was not intended to bring out the 'secret' that faster machines are coming, which of course is obvious and unimportant. But that the way Jobs worded his keynote in my opinion indicates that there will be a faster version of the current "ChromeSilver" Macs before any G5 or next gen processor will be released. Which is what most people believe may happen at MWSF or later.

I think that, perhaps, the reason why the computers will not be booting OS9 anymore, is because they will be running on Intel or AMD processors. That would be fantastic. I will buy a new Mac when Apple 'switches' platforms. Steve always has something up his sleeve.

Originally posted by diablojota
I think that, perhaps, the reason why the computers will not be booting OS9 anymore, is because they will be running on Intel or AMD processors. That would be fantastic. I will buy a new Mac when Apple 'switches' platforms. Steve always has something up his sleeve.

After bashing Intel for so long, now Jobs would have to settle for one in his Mac?
I don't think he would have the balls to face everyone after that.

Originally posted by diablojota

I really hope you're right. I'm gonna buy a new computer in the next 12 months, and I won't buy a eMac@700 MHz when I can get a Dell@2.4 GHz and a 19" screen for the same money.

Originally posted by Oscar Castillo

After bashing Intel for so long, now Jobs would have to settle for one in his Mac?
I don't think he would have the balls to face everyone after that.

Umm, aren't you talking about the same guy who took a $150,000,000 investment from Microsoft?

Vanguard

Apple already has an x86 version of OS X running internally. According to reports, they are using this fact to keep pressure on Motorola. Motorola's efforts have been too slow. The likely alternative, however, are IBM 64 bit Power4 server chips, which are apparently being modified to accomodate Altivec vector processing. IBM has to license this technology from Motorola, and that was a point of contention which I believe has already been worked out - according to reports. I'm not sure what this means for Apple and Apple's users, but I think it could be quite good.

Apple switching to x86 architecture is really not a good thing in my mind. It complicates things immensely for Apple and for Apple users. It's only good for people who already bought an intel pc who want a free ride and a better OS. I have no sympathy. A lot of great software would have to be modified to run on x86, and classic/carbon apps might be the biggest problem. I would not, and I'm sure 95% of all users would not want to deal with that and other issues that would likely arise. In addition, contrary to some on this site - I'm not one of those who believes the whole Mhz hype. My computer does much better at half the mhz than most of my friend's pcs with much higher mhz. It's like rpms, having an engine that runs at higher rpms isn't necessarily an indication of efficiency. I know people who do genetic and other work on Macs, and Macs crush Intel pcs.

However, if Apple wants to introduce a SERVER on x86 architecture, I don't see a problem with that. That makes a lot of sense to me.

Originally posted by Kristjan

I really hope you're right. I'm gonna buy a new computer in the next 12 months, and I won't buy a eMac@700 MHz when I can get a Dell@2.4 GHz and a 19" screen for the same money.

It won't be for the same money, you'll have to spend more in electricity. I just got a notification from my supplier that I have to buy motherboards that can handle 82 Watts instead of the normal 77 for the newer CPUs of 2.8 GHz. I believe that is just about what the LCD iMac uses for the entire computer.

Originally posted by Maximus
The likely alternative, however, are IBM 64 bit Power4 server chips, which are apparently being modified to accomodate Altivec vector processing. IBM has to license this technology from Motorola

Not very likely at all. The Power4 is way too expensive. Maybe the consumer model being developed, but I doubt it.

IBM wouldn't have to use Altivec. They can easily make a vector engine that works differently but is compatible with already written Altivec code.

Thses are just speculations, like how when I talked about going Dualies to dump existing stocks in the warehouse for the loads and loads of processors that Apple is having.

They are stuck with A LOT of iMacs at the moment, and the sales people in Apple are panicking.

No new iMacs for a while when you can get an eMac.

And for G4 towers... I am still hoping that Motorola can do something about it.

It is all about a golf game and what comes out at the end of the 18th hole.

Gee... I sure hope they can jump to 2GHz soon. Intel/AMD is reaching 3 already.

I don't find it likely that apple would go over to x86.
They are now trying to get every one over to mac os x just to change every thing again with a move to x86. Don't think so.

Originally posted by plastic

They are stuck with A LOT of iMacs at the moment, and the sales people in Apple are panicking.
Maybe that's why they said the next Macs won't boot into OS 9:
"What, the next Macs won't boot into 9? Oh, then I will buy one that can as long as I can!"
;)

Back