Part of wireless network not working - Netgear access point

Rick Stirling

Registered
First post, I hope you can help me.

I've just made the switch from my PC to my new Mac. Things have been going well. Previously I had my DSL modem/router plugged into the ethernet of my PC, and with Internet connection sharing active I shared my link via a USB wireless device. My Xbox had a wireless access point attached and it worked perfectly.

Since I fell in love with the mac, I decided it would be the main machine. Its a minimac with built in airport.

OK, the mac is plugged into the modem/router. It connects to the internet fine. I set up sharing on the mac and shared folders on the PC. It all works. The PC finds the mac, and shares it's connection. Then can browse each others shares.

Now I want the Xbox back into the mix, but I'm having no joy. However, I suspect part of the problem is my Netgear access point configuration.

The problem is, I dont know if the Accesspoint is even talking to the Mac.

So far I have this setup:

My modem router has the IP of 192.168.1.1 and Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
The network is called RSWireless.

The Macs en0 IP address is 192.168.1.3 with SN 255.255.255.0. It conencts via the gateway 192.168.1.1 - the modem touter.

The macs Airport en1 is 10.0.2.1

The PC gets it address from the Mac, and is usually 10.0.2.2
The PC has a gateway of 10.0.2.1, which is the minimacs airport

Since the PC can browse the net and both machines can talk to each other, I know the network is working.

So what do I do to the access point? It knows it belongs to RSWireless, but do I have to add IP info? Do I need to give it the IP 10.0.2.3? Do I need to add a gateway to it? I've tried these, but I just dont know if the Access point is even being found...

Hmm, in typing this I've just considered that I could try to ping the access point...

Good to hear the switch to the Mac mini! I continue to be impressed by its success as more and more PC folks take notice.

As far as your network goes, I'm no expert, but I would start by trying to get everything on the same subnet (i.e. 10.0.0.XXX), including the wireless network.

Let me try to visualize your setup:
Wired: ---
Wireless: ~~~

Router --- Mac mini
Mac mini ~~~ PC

And you want:
Mac mini ~~~ Xbox

I think you're trying to setup an "ad hoc" wireless network. I know this works in connecting a single wireless access point to another single wireless access point, but my guess is that you need a full-blown wireless router to do the job. I could be wrong if my network diagram is off, but that's what I'd try.

Your diagram is correct. I should be fine with the current equipment, as I used it before when the PC was the main machine. The PC had the direct connection, and shared its wireless to the minimac and both my wireless access points.

For some reason when I try to plug one of my access points into the PC, it reboots the PC every time. Neither point has configuration software for the Mac. Useful.

Earlier I tried to ping the Netgear AP which was set to 10.0.2.3 with no luck. Pinging the PC on 10.0.2.2 works perfectly.

Back