partition size suggestions

rendrag

Registered
Is there a rule of thumb on how large a partition should be? I've decided to have two partitions - one for classic and the other for X, but I'm not sure how large these disk spaces should be (I have a 20GB drive on a Pismo Powerbook)

Any suggestions?

It depends what you'll be doing. If you'll mostly be using OSX, make it like 15 OSX - 5 OS9. If you anticipate spending a lot of time in Classic make it more like 10 - 10. Weight OSX more heavily though, because of VM, and OSX apps are bigger.

I'm on an iMac DV Special Edition/400 MHz. I've set up my hard drive partitions in the following way:

4.25 GB = Mac OS 9.0.4 (just the OS)

4.25 GB = Applications (basically, everything except OS 9.0.4)

4.25 GB = OS X (future installation of OS X)

Comments are welcome.

I'm on an iMac DV Special Edition/400 MHz. I've set up my hard drive partitions in the following way:

4.25 GB = Mac OS 9.0.4 (just the OS)

4.25 GB = Applications (basically, everything except OS 9.0.4)

4.25 GB = OS X (future installation of OS X)

Comments are welcome.

You'll probably need around 1 GB just to get the OS installed.

I ran into problems last week reinstalling Mac OS X by itself onto a UFS partition. It refused to start the Classic environment using OS 9 from a separate partition and it failed to detect my AirPort. So, I reformatted and tried again with HFS+, installing 9.1 first and then 10.0.4 on top of it. Everything worked great.

Current setup: iBook with 20 GB IBM Travelstar
4 GB MacOS 9
8 GB MacOS X
8 GB for junk

Originally posted by Klink
Before you partition you should read through this Apple Knowledge Base Article. Your Pismo is one of the machines affected.

http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/kbase.woa/157/wa/query?type=id&val=106235

I have a Pismo and wanted to install X on it later this year when 10.1 comes out. However, I tried that link and nada. I did try searching for a solution in the kb. "compatibility osx pismo." "compatibility os x pismo." Those were among the strings I used.

I'd like some basic information on what is the limiting factor with the Pismo book when it comes to X compatibility.

Thanks!
Greg

More stuff:
I also have a 350MHz smurf mac and it will also get X later. However, I have 2 drives in there and want to know if, for speed issues, should install classic on the same drive as X or if I'm better off keeping X and classic separate. Thanks!

Finally, I am here to show you what *NOT* to do.

I made the silly mistake of misreading and thinking that the OS X partition had to start within the first 8GB, not be contained within the first 8Gb.....so here is what I did that *didn't* work.....

40GB IBM Deskstar (ATA):
3GB---->Mac OS 9
8GB----> OS X
2Gb---->Scratch
26GB--->My Stuff

Since have already spent way too much time moving files around, I guess I will just move OS 9 onto the 2nd partition and move OS X onto the first 3Gb partition :(

----------------------------------------------------
Here is a what the apple TIL says......

Mac OS X 10.0: Disk Appears Dimmed (or "Grayed Out") in the Installer

On certain computers, Mac OS X cannot install on a volume that is not completely contained within the first 8 GB of an ATA hard disk.

A volume appears dimmed or "grayed out" in the Mac OS X 10.0 Installer. You cannot select it as the install destination.

Note: "Volume" in this instance refers to either an ATA hard disk or an ATA hard disk partition.
Products affected

* PowerBook G3 Series
* Power Macintosh G3 Desktop
* Power Macintosh G3 Mini Tower
* Power Macintosh G3 All-in-One
* Macintosh Server G3
* iMac 233 MHz ("Rev. A")
* iMac 233 MHz ("Rev. B")
* iMac 266 MHz ("Rev. C")
* iMac 333 MHz ("Rev. D")

Back