partition?

reasonableman

Registered
I have a 6GB hard drive in my Rev D iMac.
Currently, I have Mac OS 8.5 installed.

If I install Mac OS X will I need to partition my drive (and therefore erase it) to be able to run Classic?

-R.

Originally posted by reasonableman
I have a 6GB hard drive in my Rev D iMac.
Currently, I have Mac OS 8.5 installed.

If I install Mac OS X will I need to partition my drive (and therefore erase it) to be able to run Classic?

-R.

you'll have to install os 9.1 over 8.5 whatever you do...
whether you partition or not depends on whether you're particularly worried about your data... there's quite a few people that have done it without partioning, but, quite honestly, i feel partitioning is better as you then always have a separate 9.1 apart from your classic and your os x to fall back on in case anything goes wrong. also, quite a few apps (games like deus ex, for instance) are extremely snaillike under classic, so if you're a gamer, or if you use apps that are quite close hardware like recording programs, for instance, you'll want to run those under normal 9.1 instead of classic...
all in all, i think it's worth the bother. i'm certainly glad i partioned...
have fun with os x ... it's great!
oh, and check out my thread on virtually the same question in this forum ... i got some really sound advice from other guys on the forum ...
; )

Originally posted by reasonableman

but will i have to erase the hard drive and everything on it if i don't partition?

thanks,

-R.

as far as i know you won't have to erase the hard drive if you don't partition... you just install
9.1 on top of 8.5, just as if you were updating...
but i'd still recommend partioning ... ; )

I haven't posted before, but I thought that I'd jump in here, as OS X will be arriving tomorrow :) ...
I'm assuming that it would be possible to partition after installing without partitioning, if you see what I mean.
However, my question is: How would I go about restoring my data on the OS X system (perferences etc.) after partitioning?

I plan on basically copying my HD over ethernet to an iMac.

-------
OS 9.1
160Mb RAM
iBook original edition
3.2Gb Hd

When I first installed OS-X, I didn't partition my drive. It worked, but I didn't like it. There where multiple OS-9 folders. One set for regular OS9.1 and another for OS 9.1 running classic. I found it confusing. Also when I installed the developer tools I got a wierd error at the end of the install, when the computer restarted it went into OS9.1 and the fonts and al sorts of other things were very messed up. At that point I decided to partition and reinstall. My system has been running great since then.

As an iMac owner I found it challenging to backup my data before partitioning my drive (about the only time I want a floppy drive ;) . Here are a couple tricks if the amount of data is small (just a couple megabytes)

1. Upload it to your space on your iTools account.
2. Send it to yourself in an email / partition and reinstall / Get the email. This trick is what I did because I only wanted to save a couple files.

Good-luck!

Back