Partitioning disc

mauve

Registered
HI, everybody.
I've partitioned my internal HD into 3. Mainly to use with Pro Tools.
I've reinstalled the OSX to one volume that I am going to use for other things.
One I want to leave for rpro tools and the othe to store audio sessions.

I am a bit confused. Do I have to install OSx onto the other volumes as well?
And where do I install the pro Tools?
Thanks!

Hiya

I have PT 6.4 and I have two harddisks.

On the main I use osx 10.3 and PT installed there because its 7200rpm disk. No partition.

I back everything up to another disk which also has OSx but not needed. I can save write projects there as well.

I dont know if its the best options but I have had no problems. In fact the back up is a second disc as my old back disk failed ;-).

John

You _don't_ need to have OS X on all partitions, just the one you boot from. Make sure it has enough free space for virtual memory. If you can, keep it at 10G+ free space.

The application Pro Tools can be installed either in /Applications, which would be on the system's partition, or anywhere you like. You just have to make sure that Pro Tools uses the partition you want it to use. Within Pro Tools' prefs, I guess.

'Do I have to install OSx onto the other volumes as well?' - no.

'And where do I install the Pro Tools?' - some installers do not allow the user an option where to save the application or utility. Such installers will place applications into the '/Applications/' folder, and utilities into the '/Applications/Utilities/' folder of only a bootable hard disk drive. If 'Pro Tool' has such an installer - you can leave 'Pro Tools where it is installed, or - drag the 'Pro Tools' folder onto any of the other partitions (then delete it from the default installation location). Do not (ever) move, rename, or delete the '/Applications/' folder, or any application or folder of applications installed by Apple Computer, Inc., into said folder.

Note: After installing 'Pro Tools' (where ever) and launching it, a '/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/' folder will be created - on the currently booted hard disk drive partition. So, having multiple boot partitions and using 'Pro Tools' with each (boot partition) may cause unexpected results.

Having two (2) of your three (3) partitions contain MacOS X is not a bad idea. Should the default boot partition experience a problem, it may be possible to boot from the 'other' partition - to repair the default boot partition, etc. Actually, most users typically use two (2) separate hard disk drives - each with the same version of MacOS X, for such operations.

Thanks guys.
I saved the PT on the system drive. But now I have to make use the partition (140 G) I set aside for it. I was able to save sessions on the 3rd volume.

Back