Partitioning question.

kcmac

Registered
Getting ready to set up 2 partitions. Can I put my OS 9 apps on my OS X partition? Will the apps still work when I have OS 9 on?

The only app I have that can only run in OS 9 and not classic is virtual PC, v.4.02 which I am assuming I will have to put on the OS 9 partition.

I have 20 gigs on my iBook and I would like to make the OS 9 partition as small as possible.

Originally posted by kcmac
Getting ready to set up 2 partitions. Can I put my OS 9 apps on my OS X partition? Will the apps still work when I have OS 9 on?

The only app I have that can only run in OS 9 and not classic is virtual PC, v.4.02 which I am assuming I will have to put on the OS 9 partition.

I have 20 gigs on my iBook and I would like to make the OS 9 partition as small as possible.

Yes, you can place your Classic apps on your X partition (you can even use sym-links and aliases to SHARE "desktop files" and "Documents" folders between OS 9 and X. I would, however, place your Classic Apps in a separate applications folder. As others have suggested to me, I now keep all my non-Apple-installed X apps (ANY X app NOT installed by OS X itself) in my HOME directory in a new folder called "Appplications X" and my OS9 apps in my HOME directory in a new folder called "Classic Applications." This way, when you upgrade your OS, all of your applications will be isolated from Apple's evil installers which may run amuck. (Then, simply make aliases of these two apps folders and put them into your REAL root applications folder). Items in your home directory tend to be safer (who knows Apple's installer could accidentally replace the WHOLE "Utilities" folder with an updated version).

As for Virtual PC, Connectix has a free VirtualPC "Test Drive" for OS X! You should install it; it works pretty well and will let you use the SAME DOS 'disk' for both OS 9 and X versions. I never use the regular VirtualPC anymore.

Thanks Gadgetlover.

I will try your alias trick.

I looked into the Virtual PC test drive. It doesn't support USB which I need and it seems some other things were missing that I can't recall off hand. I use Virtual PC for work. We use ACT 2000 heavily. It is working great right now and I really don't want to deal any closer to the edge than I am right now with that program. Too much info would be in danger.

I am going to try to give the OS 9 partition about 1 gig and the remainder of the 20 to OS X. Sound like enough? Looks like it to me.

Back