password changes?

legomac

Registered
Hi, I have an adsl connection - speedtouch usb modem, mac mini, 10.4.5. about once a week my machine won't connect to the inet. (failure to negotiate a connection) I noticed that my password seemed to be 'longer' than it should be - I re-type it & I'm back in business. How can my internet password suddenly change? Is there something I can do about this - does it sound screwy?

Thanks
EL

If you're referring to the number of "dots" that make up your password, then yes, that will appear to be longer or shorter than your real password -- it's a security thing. It would be silly to put the exact number of dots there as characters in your password, since that would give the exact length of your password away.

I don't think your password is changing... perhaps something else?

Thanks for the response. I can see the sense in what your saying & I don't want to sound (too) dopey but my machine won't connect - I open up the internet connect, highlight the password, re-enter over this & then it'll connect. This has happened at least five times over the last month with no input from me - no new kit, software etc. If it's something else what could it be? I'm relatively new to macs & lovelly as they are I'm sometimes a bit lost.

Hmm... perhaps you should try deleting all the associated internet passwords relative to this account from your keychain -- you can use Keychain Access in the /Applications/Utilities folder. Then, you can re-set the password, and it should stick... sometimes your Keychain's passwords get corrupted or just somehow stop working, and clearing them out and resetting them can help.

Back