Password-protecting specific applications

burbous

Registered
Is there a way to password-protect specific applications? If my laptop were ever stolen, someone could reboot from CD to get past the login password ... is there software that will password-protect apps such as Firefox, Entourage, and Interarchy?

You could set up open firmware password, from the install discs that came with the Mac. That way they would not be able to get access to the hard drive without getting the open firmware password first. (If you use this password, make sure you remember what you set for it, as that will not be easy or cheap to have recovered)

A second option with that would be to use Filevault - they could still open the applications if they would somehow get to an other user's account.. as what is in your user data is what matters, and that can't be read, for all home folder being encrypted.

Thanks for the info. I looked into it, and apple says "Firmware password protection does not prevent someone with physical access to the computer from restarting it or turning it off" and "Open Firmware Password Protection can only effectively protect a computer that enjoys some degree of physical security."

So how does that help if the laptop gets stolen? Is it an additional level of password protection, but one that can't be bypassed in any way?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106482

Thanks for the info. I looked into it and found this:

"Firmware password protection does not prevent someone with physical access to the computer from restarting it or turning it off." and "Open Firmware Password Protection can only effectively protect a computer that enjoys some degree of physical security."

(http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106482)

So how would it protect the info if someone were to steal the laptop? They can start it up, but can't get any further due to the firmware password?

I think I get it. The Open Firmware Password would basically prevent someone from starting up the laptop via CD and bypassing the login password. Is that how it would help in my situation?

Does anyone know of any other utility that password-protects applications?

Right. They're in the main Apps folder now. Thanks for mentioning that.

Can I get some feedback on this idea: move the Micorosoft User Data folder to my Account's Apps folder and encrypt that whole folder using Disk Utility. Keep it open for normal use, close it for travel.

Applications folder is accessible for all users, not owned by your user.
However, I do trust disk utility's encryption more than I would trust e.g. Filevault.

OF password works best when implemented with government strength screws to keep hard drive in the hardware (normal screwdrivers don't work to get them out).

You could put the ecrypted folder in a hidden location, like /etc somewhere, /var, or in a hidden partition. Or bring them with you in an encrypted USB drive, so nothing would be on your Mac to start with.

How about making an encrypted DMG file, mount it and put the program there? Then remove the "disk" and move the DMG file somewhere out of sight and doubleclick it when you need the program?

Yes, it seems to work (I tried on some card program from Version Tracker).

I'm guessing that what you really want to encrypt is things like your mail, bookmarks, browser history and cookies, right? This data is not stored in the applications. Actually, personal data should NEVER be stored in applications, so encrypting them for privacy isn't really useful.

What you really want to encrypt is your personal data, which should all be stored somewhere in your ~/Library folder ("~" is Unix-y shorthand for your Home folder, in case you don't know).

FileVault will encrypt your entire Home folder, but there are many caveats to FileVault. I've heard of data loss and various quirks when using it, and Apple even admits that it's not meant for normal users. But it's the only way I know to effectively encrypt all this personal data.

You MIGHT be able to rig up something with encrypted disk images, but most apps require that their files be in specific places (like ~/Library/Application Support or ~/Library/Caches). For your own personal files, encrypted disk images are great, but for applications settings and things like that (which includes mail, cookies, bookarks, etc.), things are trickier.

Mikuro - thanks, that's exactly what I want to protect. So it's the databases, not the apps, which I did know but needed this forum to make the lightbulb go on. A search shows that everything is in ~/Library/ or can be moved there.
At least I know what to think about now, and what the limitations are.

I've heard too many stories about FileVault to trust it, but maybe it's the only option.

Giaguara - I'll look more into OF Password. Still don't really understand where hardware such as screws comes in play. Thanks for bringing it up.

Any Developers: surely I'm not the only one who needs something like this. I hope someone comes up with a good utility for just this sort of thing.

Back