Passwords for Entourage accounts will not "stick"

macraptor

Registered
Strange problem has arisen for me in Entourage. Every time I collect my mail, it asks me for every single email account password. I put in the password, check the "Remember" box, and it happily collects my mail. Next time, same thing all over again.

On checking the Account information, all of my accounts have lost the passwords, and the checkbox to access info from the Keychain is unchecked. I type in the info, check the checkbox, and put the window away. Open it immediately, and the checkbox is again unchecked and no password is present.

Other account details CAN be changed and DO stick.

I have repaired Permissions in Disk Utility. I have discarded the Entourage Preferences and Entourage Settings. I have discarded the old Keychain and made a new one as default. I have fully rebuilt the 900MB Entourage database. None have fixed the problem.

I suspect it is some type of problem with communications between Entourage and the Keychain in 10.2.1. Apple's Mail can manage the communications and passwords without problem. It can create new entriesz in the eychain, while Entourage cannot.

There are two other things I did around this time - installed the latest beta of PGP for OS X, and backed up my internal disk, reformatted it, and restored it using the latest CC Cloner.

Anyone else with the same problem? Any thoughts or solutions?

My friend has this problem with both iChat and Entourage. He has it with Mail as well. I deleted his keychain file and started a new one but this did not help. I hope someone has an answer to this problem. Because I sure as heck don't! Deleting a keychain file and starting a new one ( via "Keychain access" ) is the traditional way and this should work but it doesn't. I too fixed his permissions via Disk Utility. Please help us!

I had the same problem before. I figured it was just something within entourage that I had to deal with. Once I did a clean install of 10.2 everything works perfectly

I had the same problem. It was fixed when I recreated the account. Kind of an annoyance, but it worked for me.

No, I'm sorry, create a new email account in Entourage, not the OS... I created a new account in the "tools" pull-down. Sorry for not making that clear.

I, too, am having this problem without success! I even called Apple AND Microsoft and talked to engineers for abut an hour (each)! They're clueless. I've tried just about everything. Anyone figure the problem out yet??

Someone should post this on Apple's Forum Support area.

Which version of Entourage are you guys using? (ie have you updated?) I don't have that problem at all... when you update office you have to install the service 1 pack and THEN the security update in that order...

MacLuv, you have to HAVE the problem to know what we're talking about. Trust me.

As for me, I finally (think) fix the problem! Here's how I did it:

(1) Create a new OS X User Account;
(2) Log in to that new account;
(3) Run Entourage and create a new user (if it doesn't do it for you);
(4) Create an email account using the info from the one that is giving you problems (e.g., user name, email@address, password, mail.mac.com, pop.whatever, etc.)
(5) Check your email (send/receive) using this new account. MAKE SURE TO CHECK THE SAVE PASSWORD TO OS X KEYCHAIN BOX.
(6) If you feel that you can now keep checking your email WITHOUT having to re-do the password, then quit Entourage.
(7) Re-run Entourage and verify that it still "sticks".
(8) Your problem is now fixed (if it worked); you may now log out and re-use your REAL OS X account -- you can delete the unneeded OS X account now.

Done.

I have had the same problem described here since upgrading from 10.2.1 to 10.2.2. I did not have it previously.
I followed GadgetLover's advice and while I created an account on which the passwords would stick, it didn't do so once I logged back in on my admin account.
But significantly, this also occurs on IE. I am using 5.2.2 and it won't remember me anywhere if I quit the browser and then come back. For instance, when I came back to this site today, it didn't remember me.
I think this is more of a Microsoft issue than anything else.
I have updated Office to 10.1.2 and I have the most recent IE and I've downloaded everything from software update.
It's vexing.
I have had one benefit, in that the amount of time the password in Entourage won't stick is reducing. Now, it seems to remember it after I type it in about 2 or 3 times. Then it sticks until I have to quit the application. It won't remember it then when I relaunch the app.

500 MhZ G3 iMac, 1 GB RAM, 40 MB hard drive, OS 10.2.2

Sometimes connection problems and setting will prompt that you enter your pword message, if there is a setting that verifies a secure connection selected. So if you were disconnected from the net and left the app open, then tried to check your mail, it will do that, because it lost its secure connection. However thats not on by default, so thats something you would have clicked on your own. I do recall reentering my pword a few times in the past.

Back