PB 17" - sooner or later?

weaselworld

Registered
It's been a long time coming, but I'm finally going to take the plunge and buy a Mac of my own.

I've decided on the 17" Powerbook - it just suits me. So here's my undoubtedly longwinded question:

I don't know how Apple's shipping times and such work. They have 7-10 weeks as the estimated ship time for the 17", which is understandable because that's when it's being released. What I wonder is whether I should go ahead and order one soon, or just wait until the official release. I want to get it as soon as possible, so I don't know whether ordering one now will ensure that I'll get it as soon as possible, or whether I'll be able to wait until they actually start shipping to place my order. My fear is that even when release time rolls around it'll still take a few too many weeks to recieve the computer.

Anyone care to shed some light on this?

well, they've been taking orders since mac world so you're about 3 weeks behind everyone else who has already ordered. like the 12" PB, im sure the 17" PB will arrive in stores before they ship. i doubt we'll see them before march. unless you need a BTO option, id just pick one up at the store when they arrive.

Do the stores allow educational discounts, etc?

I bought an ABS and card in May 2002. Then an iMac in October. I received a discount for all. Bring sufficient proof. Not sure what to tell you on that. For example, to show I was an educator, I showed them my LAUSD employee card (bearing name and employee number) and a California driver's license (to show I was the same person). I was told to bring a an employee ID with picture next time. Heh, that's kinda.. weak... considering that at work I carry an ID badge that I made myself. Yeah, looks better than the ones given to me by the school where I work.

thanks, guys :)

I'm a college student so educational discounts are greatly appreciated. I had originally wanted to apply for the student ADC program, but as I'm not taking any development courses at the moment, I don't qualify...which is sad because one of the things that has helped lure me to Apple is the fact that the development tools and resources are so readily available. Oh well.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Originally posted by weaselworld
Do the stores allow educational discounts, etc?
Just to make an official note: Apple's stores only give educational discounts on the hardware. However, the online store will give educational discounts on hardware and software.

So, if you are looking to buy some extra software (apple or third party) along with your new toys, you have to order from the online store to get all of it at educational pricing.

Back