PB no wired ethernet

aved

Registered
I have a 1.67Ghz PB G4 that all the sudden won't get an ethernet connection. I use a wired connection everyday at work and never have any problems, this morning I actually shutdown my computer (which I don't do that often, just let it sleep) and when I got to work my PB would not pick up an IP from the router. Here are some of the symptoms:

-Network preferences says that there is no cable plugged in
-There are lights on the router port that I plug into once I plug it in
-I've tried multiple known good cables, they didn't work.
-Tried to connect to another computer with a crossover and it didn't work
-Pins on the NIC look good

I eventually get a 169.254.114.232 (255.255.0.0) on en0, is this some kind of default or something? I let wireshark run for a little bit and I see MDNS (?) traffic between 169.254.114.232 and 224.0.0.251 and some DHCP discover packets being broadcast.

Anyone have any ideas on troubleshooting this? I know there is a hardware check CD but it's across the country-- is it worth getting mailed? I'm stumped.

Thanks!

It's possible it could be just a corrupt preference file. Look for the systemconfigurations/networkinterfaces.plist in your home folder~ library/preferences/ and trash it.
The en0 is the prefix for a common Ethernet Network interface. ( which suggests it's probably working... )

Back