PB ram upgrade -vs- MBP purchase

owen-b

Registered
Hi all,

I'm having a nasty case of upgrade-aholism.

I keep looking at the rather nice prices of Apple refurbed MacBook Pros (15", Core 2 Duo) and thinking about spending around £1200 on one then selling my Powerbook G4 to make a few hundred on the price back.

It's a Powerbook G4 15", 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM, 128MB VRAM. I mostly run Photoshop CS2 on it, with a few other apps open at the same time very occasionally, but not usually more than Firefox, Mail, Netnewswire and very occasionally Azureus is running at the same time (but usually I leave Azureus overnight if I can and off during the day).

It's been suggested that really, even with CS3 round the corner, I don't need anything that the MBPs provide, other than a bit of the grunt power. I'm inclined to agree.

As such, will the removal of the 2x512MB RAM sticks in my machine and their replacement with 2x1GB sticks make a noticeable improvement to processes in Photoshop CS2, and allow for some of CS3s improvements when it comes along? Or will the increase be negligible? I have PC2700U-25330 sticks in there at the moment so would replace them with same speed sticks from Crucial (as I'm told they are the most reliable suppliers).

Many thanks,
Owen

if you would like my honest opinon i dont like the macbook pro the only difference between it and the macbook is the dedicated graphics u can upgrade ram and hard drive yourself the only thing u cant do is the CPU and videocard, if u dont need to do gaming or video rendering then the macbook should be good or u can just keep ur G4 which it seems good to me and just upgrade the ram like u said, but this is my honest opinion when i was debating over the White 2.0 macbook the black macbook or the cheapest MBP i choose the white 2.0 for several reason

Back