PC & MAC become one

No. Dual Boot won't be possible. It also is not possible to buy a standard PC and buy OS X and install it. You still have to buy an Apple branded machine. On this machine you cannot install Windows for Dual Boot.

I simply hope that Microsoft will release a version of Virtual PC that uses the intel processor as VPC does under Windows (there _is_ Virtual PC for Windows). Those virtual machines are certainly much faster than emulating X86 code on a PPC.

But what I'd _really_ love: If MS would turn VirtualPC into some sort of 'Classic environment'. But I guess it's not Microsoft's goal to make Mac OS X the successor of Windows. ;)

If Microsoft doesn't move VirtualPC to be a better product, there is a reasonable chance that VMWare might move theirs. Seeing as how they already support Linux as a host OS for their software, they've already taken the hardest step in porting. Getting it to run on a x86 based Mac OS X would likely not be a difficult task. The hardest part would be convincing them there is enough market to do it, but I be there is more of a market for VMWare Workstation on Mac OS X than there is on regular Windows...

Why does MS need to do it? Wine is already there on the linux side. Apple can/should grab the code, optimise the hell out of it (they still have only specific hardware) and give people a built in Win32 layer..

Guys i just read some news from the url at nixgeek post earlier, check this out:

"...After Jobs' presentation, Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there are no plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. "That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will," he said. "We won't do anything to preclude that."

However, Schiller said the company does not plan to let people run Mac OS X on other computer makers' hardware. "We will not allow running Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac," he said..."

well i translate this as get a MAC and u can run both OS's (or vice versa), but u just wont get support of Windows from Apple. Seems like a dual boot to me u guys! Heaven is ahead u guys, early 2006.

even if so, ill never prefer that option (OSX running on a PC). when u get a MAC u have a way mutch better box and hardware than any pc around. u get more quality.

of course the choice between the two depends on which platform your main tasks are to be acomplished. well im a graphic designer so i prefer the mac. the pc ill need it mostly to do my premierePro work.
anyhow the news are great!!

That's the end guys, that's not heaven. People will buy an high-end Intel-based Mac, then install Windows on it - because they like Windows better and want to use it on some kick-ass hardware. What about OS X? Of course, dual boot is possible, but then OS X will always be the second system, that's only in the boot loader and not used often.

The Intel thing was a VERY BAD move.

sorry, that was abit harsh, but seriously, where's the logic in a PC fanboy admitting defeat and shelling out on apple hardware to install windows. i have no desire to run either an ugly, temperamental pc or the shoddy OS's you're forced to run with it.

Back