PC software... Mac equals?

banjo_boy

Bona Fide Pater Familius
I have officially jumped from full design to almost full programming and I am in need of finding software that would be comparable to my coworkers' apps. The cool thing is, they want me to work fully on the Mac so we have both platforms covered. Anyway, this is the list of software that I use on my PC:

• Email and Calendar: I use Groupwise. It is slower than drying paint and still in beta i.e. it sucks.
• Database
• Code Editor: I use EditPlus on the PC. I like the file tree on it and the ease of editing a file right on the server.
• I also use an app called SecureCRT. It searches through the server for specific files and code.

Any help would be much appreciated.

banjo_boy said:
I have officially jumped from full design to almost full programming and I am in need of finding software that would be comparable to my coworkers' apps. The cool thing is, they want me to work fully on the Mac so we have both platforms covered. Anyway, this is the list of software that I use on my PC:

• Email and Calendar: I use Groupwise. It is slower than drying paint and still in beta i.e. it sucks.
• Database
• Code Editor: I use EditPlus on the PC. I like the file tree on it and the ease of editing a file right on the server.
• I also use an app called SecureCRT. It searches through the server for specific files and code.

Any help would be much appreciated.
You will find the MacOS X GroupWise client on the Novell website.

There are excellent choices of commercial database development systems on the Mac. 4th Dimension and FileMaker are both top notch. Each is also cross-platform.

If you develop software on the Mac, then there is no better development environment than Xcode. It ships with your Mac. You may download updates from Apple whenever they are available.

SecrureCRT is not a search tool. It is an SSH client that integrates with the developer's SFTP client. There are numerous SSH clients on the Mac. Of those listed, RBrowser does SSH and SFTP.

I will pursue those options right now. I should give a bit more info though. I am a web developer so I need an editor that can handle HTML, ColdFusion, Javascript, XML, and more.

I am using the Groupwise client and it is slow and has very few of the features that the PC version has.

Again, thank you and keep it coming. Any other Mac web developers out there?

In the database category, the open source MacSQL that is included with OS X Server is a heavy duty industrial strength database system.

Back