pc users can see all my files

mastertom

Registered
i use 10.3.9 and am connected to the network in my house with other pc users. however the only way that they can access my computer is either with my user name and password and see everything i have, or with a different account set up especially for them on my computer in which case they have no access to my files. is there any way of giving them restricted access to my account (for example just my photos) without them being able to access everything?thank you very much for any help

I think the problem is, that Windows does not care about the rights set on OS X.

Hm... FTP would be one possibility. I use pureFTP (search for the PureFTPd Manager on services like Versiontracker.com, it's free). It's easy to setup special links to certain volumes/folders with that. You can also replace the standard FTP Deamon of OS X with this (best choice I made regarding FTP). No problems with other users (no matter what OS) brwosing through folders they're not allowed to.

You could also try to setup a Windows Share with the built in OS X services, but I must confess I have not really expirience with that.

Create a special user folder that you open to "guest". This should do the trick.

that's what i did, but is there any way of linking files under my login to the new 'guest' account without copying them to it- they are large media and music files so they would take up to much space if i had to duplicate them

mastertom said:
that's what i did, but is there any way of linking files under my login to the new 'guest' account without copying them to it- they are large media and music files so they would take up to much space if i had to duplicate them

You could try to create aliases to the folders in question, I don't know if they can browse out of the browser along the file tree. That would be up for testing

Back