pc vs mac

yup. IE was the reason the PC took over in the first place, or at least the final nail in the coffin. every PC shipped had windows on it by about 1996, every copy of windows was completely integrated with IE by 1998. IE didn't start the internet, but it started to define it, and by IE4, netscape, the previous standard, was dying. ActiveX controls became the standard, and ever since then, every webpage had to be complient with IE, or it would fail. to make it easier to make sure it complied with these standards, you made web pages on a pc. i would still choose a mac. to be sure it wotrks on any platform.

I have not really read this intire thread, but about IE, isnt that a huge reason for Windows security vulnerabilities?

Lt Major Burns said:
yup. IE was the reason the PC took over in the first place, or at least the final nail in the coffin. every PC shipped had windows on it by about 1996, every copy of windows was completely integrated with IE by 1998. IE didn't start the internet, but it started to define it, and by IE4, netscape, the previous standard, was dying. ActiveX controls became the standard, and ever since then, every webpage had to be complient with IE, or it would fail. to make it easier to make sure it complied with these standards, you made web pages on a pc. i would still choose a mac. to be sure it wotrks on any platform.

Thats a good reason, but, couldnt macs make web pages compliant to IE? Why not?

Sure they could, but you are assuming that IE and the other browsers of the day were not buggy as all get out. You never really know how it would render until you checked it on IE. You are assuming that the development processes and the tools used were (or are) much more advanced that was the case.

Some reasons for whatever I was thinking about:
1) Regular websites are composed using templates, copy and paste coding, and software applications that do it for us. Yahoo offers support for several file types and has made it generally easier for a user to set up a website, blog, message board, guestbook and a slew of other things. If you are looking at the PC side of the spectrum this is an accurate description.
2) Website Design is the careful process of testing compatibility with other browsers, determining a design or style for the client, designing the website so that it is easy to navigate. The latter is especially important for companies that offer a wide range of products. The website designer also has to decide if they will need to add some interactive components via Flash or Shockwave. It depends on the goal for the website.
3) Some Mac users are taking advantage of the newest addition, iWeb, to the iLife suite. They are taking their existing media and combining them to create good websites. PC users don't have an iLife::ha:: so their only option is to buy a Mac or get a life.

Website designers have 'hopefully' moved on to support Firefox, Netscape, Safari, and other standard compliant web browsers as well.
The problem I see is that Microsoft hasn't updated Internet Explorer for some time now. The only updates are for security almost every single day. When the company does change their browser they add frivilous features or steal coding and come up with an alternate name like J Script. I would say Internet Explorer is used by a significant majority of the population but unless you are a designer; one need not worry about supporting that old dog.

About your third point, Apeintheshell: I truly hope that iWeb won't really catch on with users for the time being. The code it produces is _horribly_ bloated. I'm ashamed Apple actually produced something like it. I think the Safari developers are, too.

fryke said:
The code it produces is _horribly_ bloated. I'm ashamed Apple actually produced something like it.
That's the understatement of the century. I'm not sure there's a proper adjective in the English language that could properly describe how bloated and horrible code produced by iWeb is.

I'll go a bit farther though—even the people who designed Microsoft FrontPage are laughing at the people responsible for iWeb.

But we all know that version 2 of it will come out in January 2007. We also know it won't fix this code-problem. It'll sure add more and even funkier templates, though. Ack...

i've just seen AdamByte's new iWeb-page. it's horrible, (sorry adam) the images are HUGE, and badly optimised, so they all take ages to load, and then the page breaks. shoddy.

zoranb said:
Thats a good reason, but, couldnt macs make web pages compliant to IE? Why not?

They can and do; I, personally do exactly that. And depending on the firm, many professional web-design institutions do likewise. The problem is just convenience.

Safari tends to work similarly to Firefox (which is available, of course, on PCs). Mac IE is a dying market. Internet Explorer for Windows is a beast completely unto itself. Since every website needs to be compatibility-tested for IE and Firefox, it makes good sense to use a PC, where you don't have to change computers or run VPC to test it in IE (Win).

But it's not impossible. Personally, I find OS X applications like CSSEdit by MacRabbit completely indispensable, and thoroughly dislike doing webdesign work on other platforms.

texanpenguin said:
Since every website needs to be compatibility-tested for IE and Firefox, it makes good sense to use a PC, where you don't have to change computers or run VPC to test it in IE (Win).
Unless it will impact your work flow... I don't consider Windows to have the ability to let users multitask. In which case, someone more productive on a Mac would make better use of their time building on a Mac and later testing on a PC.

:rolleyes:

Unless you are paid by the hour of course... then moving to a PC and working slower is an advantage!

texanpenguin said:
Safari tends to work similarly to Firefox...

I thought Safari used the KHTML engine like Konqueror...did this change somewhere during Safari's development? :confused:

No it is based on KHTM still. Think that was more a reference to both of them trying to actually support standards and rendering as correctly as they can. This is opposed to, well you know...

Back