PC133 RAM in a Pb wallstreet?

w1rupert

Registered
Hi all

I have a slighty scratched but otherwise fine Wallstreet (the original...) ;) from 1998 that I have been gradually upgrading. It is currently running on a Sonnet G4/500 processor with 2*256MB RAM. Or so I thought...
the original processor had first 128, then another PC100 256MB RAM chip onboard when I exchanged it. The 256MB RAM turned out to be defect after a while so now I have replaced it with a new PC100 256MB chip. When I wanted to replace the 128MB that I had "inherited" from the old processor board I purchased a PC133 256MB chip.

But this chip seems to be not fully supported, it reads only as 384MB RAM in total, speed and position are not recognized. The latter two were not recognized earlier anyway, but the "half" recognition of the RAM leaves me puzzled. Is the PC133 not supported/recognized on the G3 or only not on the Wallstreet? In the listing it stated "For all G3/G4 Powerbooks"...

Would be thankful for any input.

BTW: I am running 10.3.9 on the soon seven year old machine... ;)

w1rupert said:
The latter two were not recognized earlier anyway, but the "half" recognition of the RAM leaves me puzzled. Is the PC133 not supported/recognized on the G3 or only not on the Wallstreet? In the listing it stated "For all G3/G4 Powerbooks"...
Well, the person who listed it didn't know that the PowerBook Wallstreet is very picky about RAM (I've seen the same issue on both the Wallstreet series PowerBooks and the Beige G3 desktops).

If you want to reach the Wallstreet's maximum RAM (512 MB) you'll need to find a vender who recognizes that Wallstreet RAM is different from that used in any PowerBook after that.

A simple test, ask the vender if their RAM specifically supports the Wallstreet PowerBook. If they come back with a response like it works for all G3/G4 Powerbooks, then you can be pretty sure that they don't know about the Wallstreet's special needs.

And no, changing the processor card on a Wallstreet does not effect this. I use a Wallstreet with 512 MB of RAM (the correct type) and a G4/500 processor upgrade.

Back